Organic Maize Flakes - ½ cup
Onion - 1, finely chopped
Green peas - 2-3 tbsp
Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
Green chilly - 1, chopped or slit
Skinned and split black gram / urad dal - 1 tsp
Split bengal Gram / Chana dal - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Scraped fresh Coconut for garnishing - 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - ¼ tsp
Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
1) Soak the maize flakes in 1 cup water with a pinch of salt for 1 minute.
2) Squeeze out all water and steam the flakes in a steamer for 4-5 minutes. I have steamed the flakes using an Idli pan.
3) Wash and soak the Urad dal and Chana dal in warm water for 5-10 minutes.
4) Heat up oil in a non stick pan and add mustard seeds to it. Once they splutter, add the cumin seeds followed by green chilies and curry leaves.
5) Stir for 30 seconds. Now add the soaked and drained Urad and Chana dal followed by onions . Saute for 1 minute and add in the green peas. Mix and cover cook for 1-2 minutes or until the lentils get cooked.
6) Now add the steamed maize flakes followed by salt and sugar. Mix very well and stir for another 1 minute.
7) Turn off the flame. Garnish the maize flakes upma with scraped coconut.
8) Serve hot with chutney or tomato ketchup.
25 Dec 2019