What better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day than a sweet biscuit which brings back childhood memories for adults and loved by all children. Here’s a recipe for making those yummy Jammie Hearts and I am sure, your sweetheart will gulp down with love!
1. Refined Flour (Maida) – 2 cups
2. Frozen Salted butter – 125 gm
3. Castor Sugar – ¼ cup
4. Egg – 1
5. Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
6. Mixed Fruit Jam – 5 tblsp
7. Unsalted Butter – 50 gm
8. Icing Sugar – ½ cup
This is how I did it
1. Sift the flour into a bowl and rub the butter with your fingertip.
2. Add sugar, egg and vanilla essence and mix into a dough.
3. Knead the dough gently on a lightly floured surface till it becomes smooth.
4. You can do the above steps by hand or use a food processor.
5. If you feel that it is difficult to roll the dough, and then put it in the refrigerator for an hour.
6. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees centigrade.
7. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. The rolled dough should be thin. Cut with a heart shaped cookie cutter.
8. Get as many hearts as you can.
9. Place half the hearts in the baking tray.
10. Bake for 12 minutes.
11. While the first batch is getting baked, with a smaller cookie cutter cut a small heart in the centre of the second batch of cookies.
12. Bake the second batch of cookies and leave them to cool.
13. Once the cookies have properly cooled, prepare the filling.
14. For the filling - beat together the white butter and icing sugar till it is smooth and creamy. Spread the butter cream on the whole cookies evenly.
15. Beat the jam to make it free from any lumps.
16. Spoon a little jam over the butter cream where the cutout will come and place the cutout cookies over it.
17. Press gently so that the jam fills the heart shape.
18. Your cookie is ready for serving.
When can it be served
It can be served as snack anytime. It is a perfect treat for lunchbox.
Tips and Tricks
1. You can prepare these with any type of jam.
2. You can also replace half of maida with almond meal, to make it healthier and tastier.
Do prepare these cookies and share with your friends too!
All photographs in this article are original and contributed by author.