Recipe Alert: Golden Hearts
Once my son asked me why everything related to heart is always pink or red. This was more in the light of him not liking the colour pink. It got me thinking. When we think of Valentine’s Day delicacies, what comes to our mind is a selection of dishes all in pink and red and invariably loaded with sugar. While the thought brings a smile on my face, that’s not the only way to depict matters of the heart, right? This golden hearts recipe is the answer. If you wonder why golden, think about those with a heart of gold. :-) This one's naturally the perfect treat!
1. Chicken mince – 250 gm
2. Onion – 1
3. Ginger – ½ inch
4. Garlic – 4-6 cloves
5. Green Chillies – 2-3 (optional)
6. Eggs – 2
7. Cornstarch – 2 tblsp
8. White Bread – 10 slices
9. Sesame Seeds – 3 tblsps
10. Oil for frying
This is how I did it
1. Add chicken mince in the grinder.
2. Add onions, ginger, garlic, chilies, one egg, cornstarch and salt to the mixture and mix thoroughly till the mixture is smooth.
3. Leave this mixture in the refrigerator for half an hour so that it becomes easy to manage and flavours set in.
4. Break the eggs into a bowl, add a little salt and pepper and whisk and keep aside. Cut bread slices with a heart shaped cookie cutter.
5. Brush bread hearts with whisked eggs and place a thick layer of chicken mixture. Be careful to maintain the heart shape.
6. Sprinkle sesame seeds generously on the chicken mixture and on the prepared hearts and press lightly. Shake off excess seeds and refrigerate the hearts for minimum 15 minutes.
7. Heat sufficient oil for frying and deep fry the golden hearts for 2-3 minutes on high flame. Reduce the flame and fry for 3-4 minutes till the hearts are crisp and golden in colour.
8. Remove and drain on absorbent paper and serve hot.
When can it be served
It can be served as snack anytime and as starter before lunch and dinner. It can also be sent in the lunchbox.
Serve it with a spicy sauce. I personally love it with honey chili sauce. It goes well with all-time-favorite tomato ketchup too.
Tips and Tricks
1. On special occasions, you can prepare and keep the hearts ready for frying in the refrigerator one day ahead.
2. If you want it to be healthier, then you can air fry them too. Don’t try to replace white bread with brown bread though, as it does not taste that good.
3. You can also make a vegetarian version of this dish by replacing the chicken mixture with mixed vegetable mixture.
Have a salty and spiced up Valentine’s Day this year, serve it to all you love and don’t forget to share with your friends too!
All photographs in this article are original and contributed by author.#funrecipes #funrecipes