The MR Vaccine Campaign In Schools
What is MR Vaccine?
It's the Measles and Rubella Vaccine
When is going to be given?
Any time in schools on one day, for school children between 27th November and next 5 weeks. Each School will have a different day. Those too young to attend school, will receive it from nearest Anganwadi and Municipal or Government dispensaries.
What is importance of Measles?
Measles is a childhood infectious disease that causes high fever cough and severe rash. It is associated with high rates of complications after the illness. They are Pneumonia, Gastroenteritis, Malnutrition.
What is the importance of Rubella?
Rubella is also known as German Measles. It is also a childhood illness with fever and rash. It is harmful to a pregnant lady's baby. That baby can get Cataracts, Blindness, Deafness, Mental Retardation, Heart Disease. This is called Congenital Rubella Syndrome.
How often will this vaccine be given?
Just once in the National Programme.
What about those who have received MMR vaccine earlier?
It is still to be given. To all children between 9 months to 15 years.
What if a child is ill on that day and can't attend school.
It can be given after the child recovers at a later date at local Municipal Dispensary or Anganwadi.
How much will it cost?
It will be totally free.
Can we give it at our local Family Physician or Pediatrician.
No, it has to be given at the designated centres only.
We are concerned about the safety of this vaccine.
This is a very safe and effective vaccine.
1) It is manufactured by Serum Institute of India for last 40 years and all doctors have used these vaccines before.
2) Trained Nurses will be administering it
3) Each centre will have trained Nurses, Doctors, Government Officials and School Teachers and Principals too.
4) The syringes will be single use, they get automatically destroyed after a single use.
5) All emergency preparations are made for any mishap.
6) All Pediatric and other hospitals will be ready to handle emergencies.
What are the side effects?
Generally the side effects are very mild and they are local pain, swelling and redness and fever. This can be treated with paracetamol and local ice fomentation. These side effects are common for all vaccinations.
So you recommend taking the Vaccine?
YES, PLEASE GO AHEAD AND TAKE THE VACCINE. IT IS SAFE AND EFFECTIVE!!