Feast on a Fast Day with Crunchy Sweet Potato Chaat
If you’re a Mumbaikar, you can’t miss the magic that Navratri adds to the spirit of the city. The fervour during this ten-day festival is contagious and you can’t help but dive into the celebrations. But Navratri for most also means a period of fasting and those observing a fast definitely need some high energy food to pull through the day.
I personally feel food meant for a fast should be simple and less oily so that one can get maximum nutrition and besides, simple preparations are lighter on our system. It should ideally also be a mix of carbohydrates, protein and vitamins.
I prefer using sendha-namak or rock salt in the food I make for a fast to balance out the flavours. This recipe of Crunchy Sweet Potato Chaat has a mix of all the flavors and the nutrition aspect has been taken care of as well. This can be enjoyed by the entire family as a hearty snack and what’s more, it’s easy-to-make.
This Chaat recipe when topped with thinly diced fruits on a canapé can be good party starters too. Wow!
- 1 Sweet potato, boiled
- 2 small regular potatoes, boiled
- 2 tbsp Pomegranate kernels
- ¼ cup apples, diced
- 4 tbsp Yogurt
- 2 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup cucumber, diced
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- Rock Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp green mint chutney
- 1 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a grilled pan. Sauté the sweet potato and potato cubes for 2-3 mins.
- Add the cumin powder, red chilli powder, rock salt and lemon juice and cook till the potatoes are slightly crispy on the outside.
- Take it off the flame. Now layer them on a serving plate and top it up with apple, cucumber and pomegranate kernels.
- Now, mix a little cumin powder and honey into the yoghurt in a bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add this sweet yoghurt mixture over the fruits and potatoes and then top it up with green chutney.
- Serve with some more pomegranate on the top and enjoy the sweet, sour and crunchy chaat.
Explore the entire collection of articles: Navratri
If you are reading this article on our website and have an Android phone, please download our APP here for a more personalised experience based on your lifestage.
Read More On Baby