Ragi Sheera Pops: Tingle your Baby’s Sweet Tooth
After you’ve tried single-ingredient foods as the first few weaning meals, your baby may be ready for more complex tastes. Ragi sheera is an ideal dish to prepare for your munchkin when she’s ready to eat her first real meal.
Most Indian mothers and grandmothers will vouch for the nutritional value of sheera as a weaning food. The main ingredient in sheera - rawa (semolina),is a good source of carbohydrates.
In this recipe, rawa has been paired with ragi or nachni which increases the calcium content of the dish.
This preparation is packed with goodness and can keep your darling’s tummy full for a longer period. And since it’s sweet, most babies love it.
I have used banana puree to sweeten the dish as opposed to any other unnatural sweetener.
The sheera, once ready and cooled, can be shaped into little balls. Your baby can hold and pop them into the mouth on her own. This makes it a good baby-led weaning technique. This act of picking food and putting it in the mouth also improves hand to eye co-ordination.
Ragi Sheera for Babies
Makes ½ a cup, ideal for 2 baby meal sittings
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 2 tablespoon ragi (nachni / finger millet) flour
- 2 tablespoon rawa (semolina)
- 1 cup water
- 2 to 4 tbsp banana puree (ensure the puree is made fresh before you add it to the dish)
1. Heat ghee in a pan and sauté the ragi flour and rawa till you get a nice aroma.
2. Add water and cook the mixture till it all comes together.
3. Remove from flame and mix in the banana puree. Cool the mixture and feed it to the baby while it’s still moist.
Make small balls of the mixture and hand them to your baby to savour. Don’t forget to take pictures and videos of you baby’s first real meal!
Explore the entire collection of articles: Weaning food
If you are reading this article on our website and have an Android phone, please download our APP here for a more personalised experience based on your lifestage.#babyfood #weaningfood