Loose Motions During Pregnancy
Just like other complaints, loose motions or diarrhea is one of the many symptoms of pregnancy.
Diarrhea can happen because:
- Due to hormonal changes, the digestive system slows down causing diarrhea in the first trimester.
- Some pregnant women become sensitive to the different foods they eat thus causing frequent loose motions
- Sometimes a viral or a bacterial infection leads to diarrhea
- Some Prenatal supplements can cause loose motions in some women
- Food poisoning due to eating contaminated food or water can cause a stomach upset and severe bouts of loose motions. This should be treated immediately by a doctor.
- Loose motions in the third trimester is very common. It can be a sign that you are approaching Labor. You could get loose motions just before you go into Labor or a couple of weeks before Labor starts. It is just a way for some women’s bodies to get ready for their baby’s birth.
Treating loose motions:
Loose motions during pregnancy should be treated immediately. It can lead to serious complications such as dehydration and loss of essential nutrients.
- In most cases diarrhea clears up in a few days.
- It is important that you stay hydrated – Have at least 8 – 10 glasses of water. Apart from this, consume juices, soups, buttermilk to replenish the lost electrolytes and body salts.
- Having ORS solution will also help.
- In case diarrhea doesn't clear up, please contact your doctor.
You can try some home remedies in case the severity and cause of the problem is not serious.
- In ayurveda, ginger is recommended as a treatment for diarrhea. Boil a piece of ginger in two cups of water. Steep it, reduce it to half and drink it.
- Drink Lemon and honey about 3-4 tablespoons through the day.
- Mix a tsp of lemon juice with half a tsp of ginger juice and black pepper powder
- Eat light foods that can be digested easily like apples, carrots, dry toast, crackers, yoghurt, khichdi, veg / chicken soup
- Avoid meats, spicy and fried foods, sweet and sugary foods, carbonated drinks and dairy products.
- Do not eat or drink in unhygienic places
- Stay away from roadside vendors
- Stay away from uncooked, raw foods like salads, fruits, juices, garnishing like coriander on food.
- Wash fruits and vegetables before consuming
- Go over your diet intake, list out the food items that cause loose motions.
- Change your prenatal supplements in case they do not suit you.
- Eat iron rich foods to cover up any deficiency
- If you get loose motions, remember to stay hydrated by consuming sufficient fluids.
For a personalized diet chart to suit your requirement and more information regarding healthy, tasty, nutritious recipes, please contact Seema Kazi Rangnekar
If you are reading this article on our website and have an Android phone, please download our APP here for a more personalised experience based on your lifestage.