Pregnancy brings along a whole host of changes. And just when you think you are getting comfortable with it, the baby comes along and you have a whole new set of changes to grapple with! More about that later.
Heartburn is among the most common conditions that most moms-to-be have to live with during pregnancy.
Let's look at a few preventive measures
- Avoid coffee and soda during pregnancy
- Chewing meals well should be an everyday habit but it's even more important now
- Liquid-ish foods are a better option over solids
- To avoid heartburn at night avoid eating at least 3 hours before going to sleep
Here's a superb breakfast recipe to kick start your heartburn-free day.
Lapsi and Banana Smoothie
Ingredients for Lapsi
- ½ cup Lapsi (broken wheat)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 tablespoons jaggery
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for Banana Smoothie
- 2 medium bananas (deskin, cut in into two and freeze for 3-4 hours/overnight)
- ½ cup curd
- ½ teaspoon flaxseed (alsi)
- 1 tablespoon honey
Preparation for Lapsi
- Heat ghee in a kadhai, add broken wheat, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 4-6 minutes or till it turns golden brown in colour, keep stirring continuously.
- Add 2 cups of water, mix well and cook on a high flame till the water starts boiling
- Now cook on a slow flame for 12-15 minutes or till the broken wheat is almost done, stir occasionally.
- Add jaggery and salt as per taste and mix well. Cook on a slow flame for 3-5 minutes. Serve hot.
Preparation for Banana Smoothie
- Coarsely grind the flaxseeds in a mixer for about 30 seconds
- Add the frozen banana, curd and honey and puree until smooth and thick. Serve immediately.
Here are a few more tips to keep heartburn at bay:
- Go for tea instead of coffee
- Grill or bake food instead of deep frying
- Replace cream with thick curd in recipes such as dal makhani or palak paneer
- If you have a sweet tooth, a bowl of fruit is a better alternative to chocolate
What do you think of the recipe? Let us know in comments.
What has worked best for you? Let us know!
Also Read: When You Are Hurting With Heartburn in Pregnancy…!
Explore the entire collection of articles: Pregnancy must know