Types Of Vaccines Available In India
For every parent, it is important to know which types of vaccines are essential to keep baby healthy and protected from diseases.
As a parent, you may worry about your child’s health and keeping him healthy at all times. That is why doctors recommend certain types of immunization for babies.
What is a vaccine?
A vaccine is a substance that protects you against a disease. It helps to produce special cells called antibodies that fight against disease-causing organisms.
What are the different types of vaccines for children?
There are mandatory vaccinations recommended by the Government of India, as well as optional vaccines which you can give to your baby. The list includes:
- BCG vaccine: This vaccine is to protect from tuberculosis. It consists of a single dose given at birth.
- DPT (Diphtheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus): There are a total of 5 doses of this vaccination; 3 primary ones are given at the age of 6, 10, and 14 weeks, followed by a booster dose between 16 to 24 months and the second booster dose between 5 to 6 years of age.
- OPV (Oral Polio Vaccine): An oral vaccine, it consists of a birth dose, 3 primary doses at weeks 6, 10 and 14, and a booster dose between 16 to 24 months.
- Hepatitis B: This consists of 4 doses: 1 birth dose, and remaining three doses at 6, 10 and 14 weeks of age.
- MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella): It is a triple vaccine which is given between 9 and 12 months, a second dose is given between 16 and 24 months.
There are some vaccines that are not in the mandatory immunization schedule of the Government of India, but the government routinely adds new vaccines to its list.
If there are any vaccines that are not in the schedule, but you are thinking of vaccinating your baby with it, speak to your doctor to get more information about the same.
Also read: Typhoid Vaccine For Children: Benefits
Explore the entire collection of articles: Kid's Health