Is It Safe To Have Sex During The Second Trimester?
Is it safe to have sex during second trimester of pregnancy?
The second trimester is characterised by changes in body structure and hormonal levels. If you have a normal pregnancy, there is no reason why you cannot have sex during the second trimester.
How to have safe sex
It is absolutely safe to have sex during the second trimester of pregnancy if you have a normal pregnancy with no complications. Sex during the second trimester does not harm the fetus in any way and is absolutely safe. However, sex during pregnancy should be avoided until medical advice is taken under certain circumstances as follows:
- If you have a history of miscarriage
- If you have multiple pregnancies
- If you experience any sort of vaginal bleeding at any time during the pregnancy or at time of intercourse.
- Talk to your doctor if you experience pain during intercourse.
If you have excessive/foul smelling vaginal discharge, inform your doctor so that appropriate remedies can be undertaken to prevent infection and transmission of STDs to your sexual partner.
Always keep in mind your pregnant condition and do not be very aggressive during intercourse. You and your partner should be mindful of the changes in your body while having intercourse during pregnancy. Report everything untoward to your doctor and refrain from intercourse if your doctor has instructed you against it.
Sex during the second trimester- the honeymoon period.
The second trimester is known as the honeymoon period or the babymoon period. This is because most of the symptoms such as nausea, fatigue and vomiting settle down during this period. The second trimester of pregnancy brings back your stamina and vigour. Women who did not feel like having sex during pregnancy in the first trimester may enjoy sex during the second trimester. Your body undergoes myriad changes during this period, some of which lead to positive changes in your sex life.
- Women's breasts enlarge during the second trimester and most women enjoy having them fondled. Other women may find fondling of breasts uncomfortable during this period. Keep an open line of communication between yourself and your partner for increased satisfaction and pleasure.
- Women may experience an increase in sexual desire as blood flow to the genital area increases during the second trimester.
- Love making may become more pleasurable as there is an increase in natural vaginal lubrication.
- The clitoris is extremely sensitive during this period and the heightened sensitivity increases pleasure.
- During the second trimester your belly is growing, but it is not big enough to cause a hindrance.
The shape of hips changes and they become more rounded bringing a greater level of intimacy and closeness during sex. Enjoy sex during the second trimester!
Explore the entire collection of articles: Pregnancy Must Know