The Must Have Recipe For Onam: Puliyodharai (Tamarind Rice)
1. 1 cup of Brown rice
2. 2 Tbsp Oil
Ingredients for Pulikachal (Puliyodharai / Puliyogare Spice Mix)
1. 1 big lemon sized tamarind
2. 1/2 teaspoon jaggery
3. Salt and Water as needed
Ingredients To Roast and Grind For Pulikachal
1. 1 tablespoons channa dal
2. 2 dry red chillies
3. 1-2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
4. 1/2 teaspoon whole black pepper
Ingredients For the Seasoning of Pulikachal
1. 1 tsp mustard seeds
2. 2 dry red chillies
3. 1 tsp channa dal
4. 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
5. 1 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
6. 4-5 curry leaves
7. 2 tsp sesame oil
1. Soak the tamarind in water for at least one hour and extract the juice. Keep the juice aside
2. Take all the ingredients listed under Roast and Grind and dry roast them until it turns golden brown. Cool them completely and grind to a fine powder.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, red chillies and allow it to crackle and roast for a few seconds. Add the tamarind extract, turmeric powder, salt, curry leaves and asafoetida. Add enough water to make it thin and allow it to boil for at-least 20 minutes or until the volume reduces to half.
4. Once the volume has reduced to half, add the jaggery and the ground spice powder. Allow this mixture to boil for another 5 minutes or until the mixtures starts to thicken. Turn off the heat and cool the pulikachal.
Method to Make the Puliyodharai Recipe
1. You can now mix the pulikachal with steamed rice in small quantities depending upon how tangy and how spicy you want the rice to be. Allow the rice to rest in this tangy pulikachal for atleast 20 minutes before serving.
2. The Puliyodharai / Puliyogare - Spicy Tamarind Rice is now ready to be served.
NUTRITIVE VALUE: PER SERVING :
Protein (g) 9.0
Fat (g) 9.9
Tamarind has amazing benefits.The fruit pulp is known to have antibacterial properties,it reduces cholesterol and improves heart health by preventing plaque formation.Tamarind also aids in reducing blood sugar & helps in weight reduction.On the other hand Brown rice is considered to be rich in proteins, thiamine, calcium, magnesium, fiber, and potassium. So for those who wish to keep their weight in check or are suffering from diabetes tamarind rice can prove to be an excellent recipe owing to its low glycemic index rating which helps reduce insulin spikes.
Read More On Baby