1. 250 gms ash gourd, peeled, cut into chunks
2. 1/2 cup black eyed beans
3. 1 green chillies, slit lengthwise
4. 25ml Coconut milk
5. salt to taste
6. 4-5 curry leaves
7. 2 tsp oil
Directions for Kerala Olan With White Pumpkin Brown Recipe
1. To begin making the Kerala Style Olan with White Pumpkin, soak the beans in water for 2 to 3 hours and cook until soft. Keep aside.
2. Steam the ash gourd (white pumpkin) with salt, until soft and cooked completely. Be careful not to overcook them, it should hold it's shape.
3. In a heavy bottomed sauce pan; add in the cooked ash gourd / pumpkin, the coconut milk, curry leaves and green chillies.Stir well and bring the mixture to a brisk boil.
4. Adjust gravy to get the right consistency by adding a little water if you want to make it little thinner. Make sure the gravy is not too watery. Finally add in the oil and simmer for a few more minutes.
5. Turn off the heat, cover the pan and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes. This brings out the flavors from the curry leaves, green chillies and coconut. Transfer the olan to a serving bowl.
6. Serve the Kerala Olan Recipe with Pumpkin and Black Eyed Beans along with, Appam or Steamed Brown Rice for lunch.
NUTRITIVE VALUE: PER SERVING :
Protein (g): 2.0
Fat (g): 1.0
Ash gourd has several vitamins and minerals like phosphorus, calcium, riboflavin, iron, thiamine, niacin and Vitamin C. Ash gourd contains a lot of moisture content and also minute amounts of fat, fibre, carbohydrates and protein.It is low in calories making it a suitable edible for obese and diabetic people. It has cooling effect and works as a laxative.Ash gourd is useful in flushing out toxins from the body. It increases the urine output and is beneficial in reducing inflammation.On the other hand black eyed beans are a rich source of protein,fibre,Zinc,Iron and vitamin C which is known to aid in the absorption of Iron.Overall the recipe is highly nutritious and can be easily consumed by people who wish to reduce weight and keep their blood sugar levels in check.