Preschool is the child’s first formal step to the world of learning. Once you decide your child is ready, choosing a preschool can be an intimidating process. You need to do a research on the preschools that meet your needs and expectations. To make this process easier for you, here are some tips.
Step one: Basic Essentials
As a parent, you might want to look at the following checklist items that are non-negotiable.
1. Is the preschool near your residence or workplace?
2. Does the preschool offer childcare?
3. What are the durations of the preschool programmes?
4. Are there any after-school programmes for children?
5. What is the fee structure for each level?
6. Does it have adequate outdoor space for children?
7. Are the teaching and non-teaching staff members trained adequately?
8. Is the curriculum fostering holistic development for each child?
Step two: Digging Deeper on Curriculum and Setting
1. Curriculum: After knowing the proximity of the preschool and the timings, it is critical to know the pedagogy or the philosophy the school pursues. The common philosophies popular in Indian preschools are the Montessori Method, Reggio Emilia Approach, Play-based Method, Waldorf Approach, Multiple Intelligence theory and High/scope Approach. Some preschools devise their unique methodology as well. You have to feel comfortable with the learning philosophy of a preschool.