Hyderabadi Sheer Khurma and Significance of Eid-ul-Fitr
Eid-ul-Fitr marks the end of Ramzan or Ramadan, the muslim holy month of fasting. Hyderabadi Sheer Khurma or Sheer Korma which means “Milk with dates” in Persian, is an authentic version of Vermicelli Pudding prepared on this auspicious occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr in every Muslim household across our country. Before jumping to the recipe of this signature dish, let’s know a little more about this festival.
Significance of Eid-ul-Fitr
Also known as the “Festival of Breaking Fast” is celebrated worldwide by Muslims as a closure to the month long Ramzan fasting. It falls on the first day of Shawwal, upon sighting of crescent moon which also is an onset of a period during which Muslims are not allowed to fast. The festival is celebrated for one, two or three days depending on moon sighting. A special prayer is nominated for this day and an obligatory act of charity is done on this day.. There are four types of charity: Fitr, Zakaat, Khairaat and Sadaqa.
On this day of Eid-ul-Fitr, special celebrations are held across muslim community. People host celebration parties, meet and greet families and prepare elaborate cuisines. Hyderabadi Sheer Khurma is the signature authentic dessert prepared on this day and is an extremely delicious and healthy preparation made using milk, dates, vermicelli and dry fruits.
Without further delay, its time to learn a step by step recipe of one of the most lip smacking traditional desserts of India and make this day extra special.
- 500 ml Full Cream Milk
- 100 ml Condensed Milk (optional)
- 50 gms Roasted Vermicelli
- 1/4th Cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp chopped Dates
- 1/4th Cup Pure Ghee
- 1/4th Cup Pistachio
- ½ tsp Raisins
- ½ tsp Saffron
- ½ tsp Cardamom Powder
- ¼ th cup blanched and chopped Almonds
- 1 tsp Rose Water
- Take ghee in a pan(deep pan) and heat it.
- Add almonds, pistachios and raisins and roast well. Remove it on a plate.
- In the same pan heat ghee and roast vermicelli till it turns golden brown
- Take another wide pan and add full cream milk and bring it to boil.
- Simmer the heat and add sugar and condensed milk and let it boil till milk starts to thicken.
- Add the roasted and fried vermicelli, chopped dates, roasted dry fruits and cook on medium heat till vermicelli is completely cooked.
- Simmer the heat and add cardamom powder and saffron.
- Allow it to cool and add rose water.
- Garnish it with dried dates and dry fruits and serve chilled or warm.
Note: Condensed Milk makes the consistency thick and creamy. You can also alter it with Khoya to get the same richness and consistency.
Nutritional Value of this recipe
Values per serving:
- Energy - 389 Cal
- Protein - 8.3 g
- Carbohydrates - 38.6 g
- Fiber - 0.6 g
- Cholesterol - 39 mg
Bring back those calories and revive your taste buds. What are you waiting for? Invite your guests and flaunt your skills with this Eid special dessert recipe-Hyderabadi Sheer Khurma!