Pregnancy is a beautiful time in a woman's life. To make it smooth sailing, following are some Do's of Pregnancy, which will not only make a positive impact on you and your unborn baby during this phase of your life but will also help you manage your pregnancy better :
1. Get moving:
Being active throughout your pregnancy by way of regular walks, stretching and breathing will keep you fit, energized, prevent your muscles from being tight and make you feel relaxed.
2. Drink enough water:
Your baby is in a body of water. You need to maintain this level. Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water plus another 2 -3 glasses of other fluids like buttermilk, coconut water, fresh lime juice. Avoid carbonated and caffeinated drinks. Water will also keep you hydrated, prevent constipation and bladder infections and keep your skin supple.
3. Eat healthy:
It's important that you consume a variety of fruits, vegetables, pulses, nuts and seeds. This will provide you with the essential nutrients for optimum growth of your baby.
4. Join a Childbirth class:
A childbirth class will not only prepare you for what is coming your way but also will be a good way to connect with other pregnant mothers.
5. Get enough sleep:
Your body is working overtime. You need to get enough rest at night and if possible try to catch a short nap in the afternoon. This will help you from feeling fatigued by the end of the day.
6. Start a ritual to connect with your baby:
Breathing, meditation, and visualization techniques will help you connect with your baby. It will help you relax and sleep better.
7. Set limits:
Do not over commit - work-wise or socially. Learn to say No if you are unable to manage. It's important that you slow down if you are feeling pressurized.
8. Make sure health problems are treated and kept under control:
Regular medication and monitoring will help to manage any health issues. It is important to keep a check so as not let it affect your pregnancy.
9. Always wear a seatbelt (even if you are in the back seat of the car):
It is very important to wear a seatbelt so as to avoid any injury to you or your baby. The lap belt should be below your belly and never across. The shoulder belt should be between your breasts and should not cut across your neck.
10. Wash hands:
It is important to wash hands frequently to avoid picking up any infections, illnesses, colds and flu.
11. See your doctor regularly:
Your doctor will monitor your health during pregnancy and the growth of your baby closely. Regular doctor visits will address your physical as well as emotional questions and worries.
12. Continue taking folic acid throughout your pregnancy and get all essential nutrients, including iron, every day.
13. Gain a healthy amount of weight:
gaining the right amount of weight will help you manage your pregnancy better and improve your chances of a smooth delivery.
Make sure you travel comfortably. Avoid bumpy roads especially in the first trimester.
Following are some DONT's, which are an absolute No-No during pregnancy. Be aware of them and avoid them completely.
1. Don't smoke tobacco
2. Do not take any unprescribed medications
3. Avoid exposure to toxic substances and chemicals
4. Protect yourself and your baby from foodborne illnesses
5. Don't drink alcohol
6. Don't clean or change a cat's litter box
7. Avoid contact with rodents and with their urine, droppings, or nesting material.
8. Don't eat swordfish, king mackerel, shark, and tilefish
9. Don't take very hot baths or use hot tubs or saunas
10. Don't use illegal drugs
11. Don't use scented feminine hygiene products.
12. Don't douche
13. Avoid x-rays.
14. Avoid lifting heavy objects / shopping bags.
Seema Kazi Rangnekar
Team – Baby360degrees