The diet that the mother follows during the breastfeeding periods impacts her lactation health as well as breast milk production. The mother needs to have a balanced diet consisting of various vitamins, nutrients, and other enzymes that support lactation as well as her health.
5 foods that you should include in your lactation diet are:
Fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, and sesame seeds are a few of the nutrient-rich seeds that should be included in the lactation diet.
- Fenugreek seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B, iron, magnesium, calcium, and beta-carotene. It supports breast milk production in lactating mothers, boosts immunity, improves digestion, and contributes to the baby’s brain development.
- Fennel seeds and Cumin seeds are rich in vitamins, magnesium, potassium, and calcium. It is known to increase breastmilk production as well as support the digestive system to reduce gas and manage colic in lactating mothers.
- Sesame seeds are an excellent source of non-dairy calcium. It supports breast milk production, helps manage blood pressure, and reduces inflammation.
- Carrots are a good source of vitamin K, calcium, iron, beta-carotene, potassium, and vitamin A.
- It helps improve the quality of breastmilk
- It also supports bone health and helps reduce the risk of diabetes.
- Almonds are rich in protein, vitamin E, magnesium, antioxidants, manganese, omega 3 fatty acids, polyunsaturated fats, and vitamin B2.
- It is considered to be a superfood as it helps increase breastmilk production.
- It reduces cholesterol levels, regulates blood sugar, controls blood sugar, improves eyesight and brain power, and boosts immunity.
- Beets are rich in fiber, minerals, vitamins, and various blood purifiers.
- It helps boost breast milk production and supports the baby’s growth with its blood purification properties.
- Watermelon is rich in amino acids, vitamin C, vitamin A, minerals, and antioxidants.
- It’s a great food choice to keep your body hydrated.
- It helps reduce inflammation, muscle soreness improves digestion and supports heart health.
- It improves lactation health as well as improves breast milk quality.
Along with these 5 foods, there are several other foods like unripe papaya, brown rice, salmon, green leafy vegetables, oats, barley, etc. that improve lactation health. Also, give equal importance to hydration to maintain good health during your lactation period.
Consult your nutrition expert and plan a balanced diet chart for yourself to stay healthy and happy during the breastfeeding period to benefit your little one.