It's that time of the year again when the unmistakable nip in the air makes us want to curl up with some warm, soulful food. Winter is the season of bountiful produce and it offers some of the year's tastiest fruits and veggies. If you're looking to make easy dinner recipes for kids that showcases winter's best offering, try this dish. The delectable combination of veggies, herbs and cheese will warm their hearts and souls.
Easy dinner recipes for kids: Cheesy baked winter veggies
For the white sauce
1. Melt one tablespoon of butter in a pan. Add in the chopped veggies one by one, and toss till they're evenly coated with butter. Cook till the veggies are soft yet have a bite to them. Add a bit of salt. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, add the maida and pour in little milk, while mixing well so that no lumps are formed. Pour in the milk in small amounts. The consistency of the mixture should be very runny. Add in the pepper powder.
3. In another pan, add one tablespoon of butter. Saute the onions till translucent. Add a pinch of salt. Adjust the amount of salt you add as per the saltiness of your cheese (I'm sure you've been tasting some already)
4. Now, reduce the flame to minimum and pour the flour mixture into the pan and stir immediately to avoid lump formation. Your sauce will thicken. Add a bit more milk if required, but do not make your sauce too runny it may lengthen your baking time. You can melt some chunks of cheese into your sauce if you like. Turn off the flame and set aside.
5. Grease a deep baking dish with some butter or olive oil. Tip all the semi-cooked veggies into it and spread evenly.
6. Pour the sauce evenly over the vegetables and sprinkle the dried herbs over them. Cover the topmost layer with the mozzarella cheese.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes or till the cheesy layer begins to brown
8. Serve this delicious, hot-baked dish with your child's favourite soup and some toasted garlic bread. Try it out this winter and you're sure to add this to your list of the best easy dinner recipes for kids.