Oats Veggie Delight
If there is one cereal which is considered to be a healthy food for all ages- it is oats. If there is one food item which every mom is worried that the child is not taking enough – it is vegetables. How about a magic recipe which is made of oats and vegetables, is perfect for everyone from 8 months old baby to pregnant mamma to grandmother? Moreover, you can literally have it at any meal, is yummy and cooking time is a barely few minutes! Want to try out?
So here is the magic recipe which everyone in my family loves.
1. Oats – 1 cup
2. Boiled mixed vegetables (Any seasonal vegetables like carrots, beans, peas etc) – 1 cup
3. Oil – 1 tbsp
4. Onions – ½ cup (chopped)
5. Green Chilies – 2 (optional)
6. Turmeric – 1 tsp
7. Kashmiri Chili powder – 1 tsp (optional)
8. Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
9. Coriander – ¼ cup (chopped)
10. Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and green chilies and let the seeds crackle for 30 seconds.
2. Add chopped onions and sauté till they are translucent. This would ideally take 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
3. Add boiled vegetables and sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Add turmeric powder, chili powder, salt and sauté for a minute.
5. Add oats and sauté again for around 2 minutes.
6. Add enough water to submerge the mixture and simmer till the water is almost dry.
7. The dish is ready to serve. Keep the dish a little watery as it cools it becomes a little thicker.
When can it be served
It can be served for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack.
Tips and Tricks
1. I like to add Maggie masala to this dish as my son likes it a lot. If you like the taste you must try it. It turns out awesome!
2. I also add powdered soya nuggets and some cashews in this dish to increase its nutrient count. For more such ideas, refer to my article on how to make meals more nutritious.
3. Add any seasonal vegetables of your choice. I have also added cooked diced chicken to this and it tasted great!
4. This dish can be given to babies from 8 months onwards. When making for babies, try to add more water and cook it a little extra and make it mushy. It can also be pureed before giving to babies.
5. If serving to a person who is under gluten free diet, please ensure that you use gluten free oats.
So cook up a treat, eat healthy and share with your friends!
All pictures in this article are original and have been contributed by the author.