Breastfeeding is the first and foremost challenge that any mom of twins face as soon as she brings her two tiny munchkins in the world.
Through out my pregnancy, I would often worry about breastfeeding and how will I manage it with both the kids. Though the actual mechanics of breastfeeding are the same for one or even two babies, the reality of managing twin feeding is a real challenge.
Sharing some simple tips for successfuly breastfeeding twins
1 During your pregnancy, read and gather as much information as you can on breastfeeding. Books, videos, meeting a lactation consultant before-hand etc will help you build a more comprehensive understanding of what breastfeeding twins involves.
2. Try to breastfeed your twins as soon after the delivery. Colostrum is a powerhouse of antibodies, fat and nutrients which is perfectly designed for newborns.
3. If you cannot breastfeed straight away, then try to cuddle your twins. Understand about one on one, skin to skin contact and try that.
4. Invest in a good breast pump, bottle sterilizers;etc and make the best use of that.
5. Keep trying persistently and do not give up.
6. Eat healthy, nutritious food and drink a lot of water. (Do not;worry about weight gain at this stage, ?)
7. Accept all reasonable offers of help and support from family and friends especially for house chores, grocery, etc.
8. Join breastfeeding groups online where you can interact with other twin moms and discuss your struggles.
9.Do away with any unsolicited advice and follow only the experts.
10. Don’t be a martyr and keep battling on when you’re clearly exhausted. Take breaks, rest and , sleep whenever possible.
11. Be confident in your feeding abilities. Be mentally prepared and strong.
12. Most importantly, in case you aren’t able to breastfeed your twins or continue to feed do not kill yourself with guilt. Explore your options, seek expert help and do what best suits you. After all only a happy and stress-free mother can raise happy kids.
#themomsagas #thetwinsagas #bbccreatorsclub #bbcreatorsclub