Winters are here and it is hardest for the kids as they are prone to catching cold and cough. Mothers find it utterly difficult to take care of their little kids. When a child gets cold and cough, they have a lack of appetite which results in weakness, thereby weakening the immune system to fight the infection. I am a supporter of skipping the medicine and using home remedies instead, during these hard days of winter.
I have a few recommendations to make lives of mommies and their kids easy.
1. Honey can be given to a baby over 1 year of age. This golden liquid is a powerful anti bacterial and anti oxidant which keeps the immunity levels high and infections at bay.
2. Water should be given to kids at regular intervals so they stay hydrated and body is ready to cope with the cold and cough.
3. Herbal pouch of garlic and ajwaein works wonders during cold. Take 2 garlic cloves and 1 spoon of ajwain and dry roast them. Once cooled, put them in a muslin cloth and tie it tight. Place this pouch at a safe distance from the baby's cot so that the aroma provide comfort to the baby. This pouch should help clear any blockage the baby might have owing to a cold.
4. Massage the mix of mustard oil & rock salt on the chest and the back of the baby. It'll relieve the congestion. Ensure to cover the baby's chest and back with cotton cloth.
5. Rub a little amount of baby balm to a cotton pad the size of baby's chest and leave it over his chest overnight. Its fumes will loosen up the congestion and the baby will sleep better through the night.
I have been using such tips & tricks for Vedaant since his birth and these age old tricks have made my new age parenting easy breezy. Let me know if you try any of these remedies during those tough days.