½ cup Rice
Handful of Soya Chunks
1 small Carrot, roughly chopped into cubes
1 small Onion , finely chopped
1 sprig of Curry leaves
4-5 French beans, finely chopped
1-2 tbsp. of Peanuts
1 bay leaf
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
¼ tsp Cumin seeds
¼ tsp Garam masala (Optional)
2 tbsp. of Oil
Salt to taste
1 ½ cups hot water
1) Soak the rice in enough water for 10-15 minutes. Rinse the rice thoroughly in water until the water runs clear of starch. Drain and keep aside.
2) Wash the soya chunks and soak them in warm water for 10-15 minutes. They will absorb water and swell.
3) Squeeze out all the water and rinse the soya chunks again in clear water for 2-3 times. Squeeze out all the water and keep aside.
4) In a pressure pan, heat oil on medium flame. Add cumin seeds and bay leaf. Once the seeds crackle add the curry leaves and peanuts. Stir fry for a while.
5) Now add onions followed by turmeric powder and sauté for about a minute. Add the remaining vegetables and soaked soya chunks and stir fry them for 1-2 minutes.
6) Now add the drained rice to the veggies and mix well. Season the rice with salt and garam masala.
7) Add about 1 ½ cup hot water to the rice and give a quick stir. Once the water begins to boil, cover the pressure cooker with a lid and cook the rice for 1-2 whistles.
8) Open the lid of the cooker, once the pressure has released. Fluff the rice with a fork taking care not to break the grains.
9) Serve warm either by itself or with some curd or raita.