Congratulations! By when are you planning for a baby?
Congratulations! How many weeks are you?
I have a
Want to post, share and ask questions. Download Now!
1 year 10 months old baby
Hello Naiyya... She has already started weaning...That's great... Congratulations on this milestone.
Babies get habituated to breastfeeding and when it comes to weaning for some it goes smooth and for some it takes time... I myself have faced rejection a lot in the beginning. You should keep trying and patience is the key. And don't give completely pureed... Just smash it with fingers and give... Tagging Rebecca Prakash our weaning champ.
Hi Naiyya solids are new to babies and eating even 1 tsp is absolutely okay, Remember till 1 year breast milk or formula milk will be their main source of nutrition and solids are complimentary, to introduce textures, aroma, taste etc. So it's okay if she is refusing, it's just the beginning. Also offer vegetables and dals first, they already have preference towards sweet because of breast milk and formula milk hence their preference will set in sweet( fruits) and ditch the vegetables ,dals, rice, roti etc. Adding few pointers, please check below and feel free to tag me. I'm also tagging few other moms who are doing and did great weaning.
Great , the next milestone, yes they will be fussy .
First start with semi solid foods. Give your baby ragi or rice porridge.; Make it a bit watery in the beginning and then gradually harden. Give thin dal , fruit puree, rice and carrot; finely mashed, carrot puree, apple puree. Give a few teaspoons of this in the beginning. Even 2-3 teaspoons in the beginning is good. Start with one semi solid meal at a time.; This means that you will be eliminating only one breast feed at a time as BM is still the chief source of nutrition to the baby. Restrict the use of salt and sugar.; You can use jaggery instead of sugar. Much healthier for babies. a few sips of water after every meal. Just about teaspoons to start off with. Feed once a day in the beginning. Then gradually increase.; Try different foods and see what suits your baby the best. Also homemade rice cerelac is easy to digest and there us no fear of any allergies. introduce all one at day time in the mornings are safer to know how the body reacts. Still continue on breast milk a few times a day as it is still the best and safest form of nutrition for your baby. Introduce only one new food at a time so that if any allergy you know what caused it.Ensure nutrients are not lost in preparation of food ....steaming is better than boiling. At 9 months plus 50% of the nutrition must be from solids and the remaining 50% from breast milk. Give cow's milk only after completion of 1 year. Cow's milk contains proteins that your baby is unable to digest in the first year. At 12 months plus baby must have 4-5 solids meals and the rest should be breast milk. Dont give honey to your kid until 1 year.
Please read the following recommendations; on offering solids.
1. Solids should be started around 180 days or when the baby meets readiness criteria mentioned in point.3. Till then only Breastmilk/FormulaMilk.
2. Also till 1 year bm/fm is the main source of nutrition.
3. Readiness of the baby should be tested which includes, baby able to sit with support, able to sit in tripod position for few seconds, lost tongue thrust.
4. Baby should be seated in upright position for feeding. Can be in your lap or booster chair or high chair.; Lying down or in inclined position are choking hazards.
5. At 6 months, baby needs one meal only. Start veggies steamed & mashed, porridges or fruits.
6. Mashing is not mandatory.
Though babies do not have teeth, their gums are strong enough to bite. If your baby is able to take family food, is fine to offer as-is(unmashed) from the start. Also most of the ripen fruits can be offered just slightly hand mashed (if required) and veggies can be steamed/boiled and hand mashed. Remember the fruit/veg looses its texture (which doesn't help them in learning curve) while mashing and also becomes difficult to change later.
7. No dal water, soups, juices, shakes, smoothies, rice water and other diluted drinks.
8. Porridges should not be watery. It should be thick enough not to fall off the spoon.
9. Watery dishes have very less nutrition and can fill up their stomach replacing the nutritious breast milk.
10. Adding breast milk or formula will mask the original taste of the food. Also will be difficult while transition to family food.
11. For 7 months, 2 meals or 1 meal+ 1snack. Increment by 1 meal for every month.
12. Gradually move on to family food minus salt, sugar and less spices by 7-8 months.
13. Babies doesn't know sweet or salt taste unless we introduce it. So do not worry the food is bland.
14. Sweetening of food/porridges are not recommended even it is with fruits, dates, etc because it might become a habit in no time and will be difficult to change.
15. Do not always have backups or alternatives for foods of baby's choice. Just offer what the family eats minus salt and sugar. Else baby will avoid what we offer, knowing that he/she will get his favorites.
16. By 1 year, baby should be taking 3 meals + 1 or 2 snacks.
17. No Cerelac, biscuits and other packaged and processed foods. They are just loaded with sugar and not healthy.
18. No salt, No Sugar/honey/palm sugar/jaggery/palm jaggery, dates syrup till 1 yr. White sugar can be avoided as long as possible.
19. It is best to try all the allergens like nuts, egg, fishes, etc before 8months. It reduces the risk/severity of allergies if any.
20. Nuts needs to be tested individually before powdering and offering together. When you try the first time, offer it in the first half of the day and look out for allergies like rashes, itching, redness, loosies, etc. Please Check with your pediatrician in case of such allergies.
21. Water should be limited to 40 ml max per day. It can be given after a meal.
22. If the baby is breastfed on demand, water can be skipped. However a few sips can be offered for oral hygiene.
23. No Cow's/animal's milk as a drink till 1 year as it has complex proteins difficult for babies to digest. However a small amount can be used in dishes like porridges.
24. Offer a variety of tastes and texture so that baby gets used to it all.
25. Giving the same food for 3 or more days rule is obsolete now. A new item can be introduced every day.
26. Let the baby decide the quantity. Do not force feed or distraction feed.
27. Always bf/ff first and then offer solids after 30-45 mins in case of bf and 1-1.5hrs in case of ff.
28. Babies need good fats like ghee, unsalted butter, coconut, etc. Normal cooking oil whichever the family uses can also be used.
29. Work around the baby's schedule based on family meal time. You can offer solids any time of the day unless a certain food being introduced for the first time which should be offered in the first half of the day to look out for allergies.
30. Dinner to be offered approximately 2 hours before bed time.
Source: Traditional Weaning India (Introducing Solids).
Satarupa B Kaur
Great that the munchkin is weaning already. Start with rice based meals. If you go in for home made rice cereal it must work. I personally feel peas need to be kept for later. Try apple and rice cereal as starters. Should work.
Nilofer Shaikh@mommyingandmore Vidya Rathod
Hi Naiyya, it's great that the munchkin is ready to be weaned off now. Mommies here have given great suggestions, my two cents would be, start with mashed fruits, as they are naturally sweet, baby might like them. If she is refusing banana, go for mango or steamed apple puree, cheeku or something similar, that can be mashed well and given. Then, introduction of veggies should be done, steamed vegetables pureed form first, And when the baby gets habituated, then mashing coarsely will do too. Ofcourse, no salt no sugar till 1 year. Baby won't eat too much in the beginning, just few spoons if it's a good day. Mostly 1-2 spoons. Give her soups , finger foods like steamed carrot, potato, broccoli, small ghee fried paneer cubes etc. Let her eat on her own. It will be messy, but she will learn more about textures that way. Mashed dal rice can be introduced too, with some ghee. Curd rice too is liked by babies, u can try that. Give food from all categories, soon she will give you the cue herself that what she likes to have, so that it becomes easier for you. Happy weaning 😊
What a co-incidence just today i posted about food-cues for a year old. Do read my post. Though it is written for a toddler byt the general points cover a new eater too. I read most of the suggestions have already been covered so nicely and mostly everything is covered by moms here. So only one advice- take it slow and easy. It will take time and patience.http://app.babychakra.com/feedpost/114084?ref=Ne2cf7e&c=app_share&pid=android_consumer&
Wow!!! This is so so so helpful!! Thanks so much Sonam, Rebecca, Revauthi, Satarupa, Akanksha, Nilo. I am feeling a lot more relaxed after reading this. This has been rather stressful and I've been wondering what I was doing wrong. So helpful again. Thanks to you all!
Congratulations on new milestone Naiyya. Weaning needs lot of patience. Rejections are common in the beginning. So keep offering baby new food everyday. I introduced ragi porridge in semi liquid form. Initially 2 to 3 spoon she ate and later increased quantity. Introduce vegetables, dal, idli, dosa in very small pieces in small quantities. Then gradually increase quantity.
Ayurvedic vs Non-Ayurvedic Massage: Which is Better For...
4 weeks ago
2 min read
6 Dangerous Diseases That Could Affect Newborns and How...
2 months ago
2 min read
Diagnose, Don’t Delay: Know How to Treat Fever Right in...
2 months ago
4 min read
Does A Child Sleep Consultant Can Really Make A Differe...
3 weeks ago
3 min read
Want Your Baby to Get The Maximum Benefit of Massage? U...
Special Skin Care during Winter
Dr. Aditya Maheshwari
1 month ago
1 min read
Putting Moms First: The Right Care For The Mother - Dur...
2 months ago
5 min read
Choosing The Right Vaccine is as Important as Choosing...
2 weeks ago
1 min read
Is there a diaper that’s best for your baby AND the env...
Worried About Your Baby Getting Multiple Injections of...
4 weeks ago
3 min read
Explore your network on our secure platform by connecting your social profile
Get a free ebook on breastfeeding by signing up for the event!
Please fill all the fields properly.
Please Select a past date.
You are missing out!
Sign in to view personalized
notifications and offers.
Enter your details to make your parenting journey fun and easy
Enjoy access to our exclusive features. Sign up now!
Get exclusive access to
Online Breastfeeding Help!
Problem breastfeeding? Book a 1 - 1 chat with a top expert at Home. Questions? Leave your number. We’ll call you back.
Thanks for submitting your details our represntative will touch with you
We have noticed that you already have an existing account with us. Please select one of the actions mentioned below: