The wonderful experience of pregnancy, a highlight in a woman’s life, comes with a few side-effects. Your figure is back to its original size and you want to wear a sari again, but you notice fine lines on your abdomen. These stretch marks are caused by the stretching of the skin during pregnancy & childbirth. The right skin care can make those lines disappear!
Curing stretch marks is a slow process which requires patience and consistent efforts. You will find lots of specially made creams, gels, oils, and lotions in the market that claim to be the magical eraser. Surgical treatment or removal is an option too. Some natural home remedies also work wonders. Here are a few remedies:
1. Oils and Moisturisers: The trick here is to keep the skin hydrated, so applying a good moisturiser will keep the skin soft and will prevent or reduce the stretch marks. An effective and easy method is oil massage. Oils that can be used are:
If you are looking for a combination of plant extracts and these essential oils, try out the Body Oil by Milk & Co. It has lavender oil, Vitamin E, papaya and rosemary extracts, each of which has unique benefits.
Massage the abdomen area gently until the oil soaks into your skin, preferably 2 to 3 hours before your bath. This will moisturise the skin, making it soft and supple, thus reducing stretch marks.
2. Aloe Vera: Aloe is a natural softening agent that comes to the rescue here too. Applying some aloe vera gel on the affected area has proved to be exceptionally helpful. You can either buy a standard one from the market or use the sap from an aloe vera plant in your garden.
3. Egg Whites: Maybe you never thought of an egg this way, but the protein in egg whites is very helpful in restoring your skin to its natural state. Regular use reduces stretch marks.
4. Body Butter: Applying Shea butter or Cocoa butter on stretch marks helps to restore suppleness of the skin too.
5. Natural Juices: Fresh fruits and vegetables help here, too. Rubbing lemon juice or a piece of potato every day before you shower on the stretch marks until the juices seep into your skin often does the trick. Leave it for a few minutes and wash it off with water.
6. Home-made Scrub: Exfoliating the affected area is another method. One tbsp. of sugar mixed with a few drops of lemon and almond oil makes an excellent scrub and is very helpful.
Beauty always transpires inside out. So a nutritious, balanced diet coupled with these external treatments is essential.
Make sure you eat food rich in protein like beans, fish, egg whites, yogurt (curds), peanuts, almonds, and seeds of pumpkin, squash and watermelon. Guava, dark green leafy vegetables, oranges, and strawberries are rich sources of Vitamin C, helping in skin tissue growth. Vitamin E- rich foods is also helpful.
Drink at least 10-12 glasses of water every day to keep the body hydrated. However, avoid or reduce intake of coffee, tea and carbonated drinks as they cause dehydration and take you a couple of steps back on your mission.
In any case, keep stress away! The marks, in the end, remind you of the incredible experience you went through and the bundle of joy that came with it.
Find out more about Milk & Co India
Milk & Co. is a family company based in Australia, created by Olympic swimming champ Michael Klim, his wife Lindy, and their three kids, Stella, Rocco and Frankie. The Milk Baby range is made from the most natural and caring ingredients possible. Ingredients sourced in Melbourne. Milk Baby products will put a smile on everyone’s face. Designed from their first-hand experience as parents, Michael & Lindy Klim developed Milk Baby with products every parent needs, so you can feel confident about what you’re using on those who matter most. Milk Baby – made from all the good stuff.
Disclaimer: this post is sponsored by Milk & Co.