Holi special kiddie treat: Whole fruit Rainbow Popsicle
It’s all about going colourful this month, thanks to the myriad hues of Holi and Easter. As summer and school vacations knock on our doors, let’s welcome them in, by eating colourful! Here’s an eye-pleasing, yummy and refreshing rainbow-inspired Holi special for the entire family. To top it up, it’s made of whole fruit, so it’s healthy too.
You will need
- 3 Kiwi fruits, peeled and chopped and deseeded (save the seeds)
- 1 cup ripe mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup watermelon, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup black grapes, washed
- ½ cup orange, segmented
- 1 cup pineapple, peeled and chopped
- Sugar (completely optional)
- Popsicle molds/ Kulfi molds
- Ice-lolly sticks
1. Puree the fruit in a blender one at a time, rinsing it out between fruits. Add a bit of water and sugar while blending if desired. (Some fruits like watermelon don’t need extra water)
2. When you blend the kiwi, blend only the deseeded pulp to preserve the lovely green colour and add the seeds to the pulp later, if required
3. Refrigerate the purees to prevent oxidation.
4. Carefully pour two teaspoons of the chosen puree into the Popsicle molds. Tap the mold on a surface to level the puree.
5. Pop the mold into the freezer and till the puree is solid.
6. Now add two teaspoons of the next pureed fruit carefully over the first layer. Clean the sides off spilled puree.
7. Place ice-lolly sticks into the molds and firmly press into the frozen layer. You do not need the lids of the molds for this recipe.
8. Freeze again. Repeat the process till all the fruit purees have been layered and frozen.
9. Once they’re ready to be enjoyed, dip the mold in a vessel of water for about a minute and pull out the popsicles. This recipe makes 8 popsicles.
- You may choose to strain out the purees before freezing them for an even texture throughout the Popsicle. I personally don’t mind the grainy texture, but some people may not prefer it.
- Always wait for the previous layer to freeze completely before adding the next layer.
- The black grape puree may blot out the other colours very easily. Make sure it’s completely frozen before you deal with it further.
- You can make a milkshake layered Popsicle as well, with different fruit milkshakes.
All pictures in this article are original and belong to the author. Reproducing them in any form without the permission of the author will not be allowed.
Read More On Baby