Why Should You Attend a Prenatal Class?
While expecting, you probably have access to a lot of information on Pregnancy, Labor & Birth. You might also get to hear a lot of stories from family, friends and strangers too. Prenatal or Childbirth classes help you in sifting through this information, addresses your queries, and helps you prepare for labor, birthing and early parenthood.
A prenatal class also gives you hands-on practice. If you know what to expect from before, you are better prepared and less anxious, whether it is during the labor and birthing process, breastfeeding or taking care of your new born baby. The Childbirth class prepares you for it all.
Typically, an experienced prenatal instructor covers the following topics:
1. Prenatal and Postnatal Diet & Exercise: This helps the pregnant mother understand what to eat and what to avoid, the best time to start exercising, safe exercises during pregnancy and after delivery.
2. Learn all about Labor and Birth: You will be made to understand the process of Labor, how it starts, when it starts, when you should go to the hospital, what should you carry in your hospital bag, stages of labor, how to best manage labor through Breathing and Relaxation. You will learn the exercises and positions to be done specifically during labor that help your baby line up with your pelvis, speed your labor and relieve pain.
3. Medical Procedures and Interventions: You will know your facts about inducing labor, and the difference between a vaginal birth and a caesarean birth (C- Sec). You may also be told about the pain relief options available and when to ask for them.
4. Breastfeeding: This will be of most value after childbirth. You must know how to prepare for it before your delivery, how to establish breastfeeding as soon as your baby is born, how to help your baby latch properly, how to hold your baby, relaxing during breastfeeding, different positions for breastfeeding among others.
6. Basic care of your New born baby: You will also be armed with the know how of postnatal baby care, what to shop for your newborn baby, vaccinations and an understanding of your baby’s needs.
7. Postnatal Mother care: This covers Do’s & Don’ts in the postnatal period, dealing with postpartum depression, family planning options, getting back into shape and other measures that you need to take.
Other benefits of attending a Childbirth class are:
1. It helps clear your doubts about your journey of pregnancy and childbirth and face your fears.
2. You meet and bond with other expecting couples.
3. You are able to discuss and share your feelings, anxieties with other mothers and the instructor.
4. Above all, the knowledge and hands-on experience you gain, lends you the confidence for a more satisfying childbirth experience.
Enjoy this beautiful journey, no matter how well you are prepared, birthing is full of surprises, so be ready to take it all in your stride positively.
For more information on Childbirth Classes and to book a package with Seema Kazi Rangnekar in person, click here
If you are reading this article on our website and have an Android phone, please download our APP here for a more personalised experience based on your lifestage.