5 Rain - Themed DIY Outdoor Activities For Kids
Often kids love to hate rains. In India especially, rain follows a spell of extremely hot summer, and since most children are homebound in summer anyway, they itch to get out by the time first monsoon showers hit. We lined up some cool rainy day outdoor activities ideas to make sure rains couldn’t dampen our spirits!
1. Outdoor activity #1: Make a splash! Just wear your raincoats, clogs, take umbrellas, and sing and dance in the rain with your young ones. Chase rainbows, make stories from cloud shapes, go crazy and let the rains cool your soul. Make sure you come back to cups of hot beverages like soups and milk with turmeric.
A kid having a gala time while it pours like tears of a divine nightingale!
2. Outdoor activity #2 Nature Art: Collect leaves, twigs, stones, and convert them into art at home. Collecting them outdoors while it is drizzling is fun in itself. Rain is also the time when you can find greenery in abundance all around you. Thus it helps to get some leaves and twigs and create your own art folder at home. We learnt about symmetry and discovered lines of symmetry through a leaf in rains this time.
Your kid’s imagination will amaze you here . A mere stone becomes a ladybird , by the magic of his /her little hands .
Let Twigs be his/her wings as your child flies away into his/her world of dreams
3. Outdoor activity # 3- Plant Buddies: These are so cute and super easy to make. It is a very good way to teach the child about plants. Just take an old stocking or a thin cloth, add some seeds,soil and tie it up . Add googly eyes and pinch out a nose. Your plant buddy is ready. Keep it in a small pot and ask your child to tend to it every day. We used green moong beans to grow these cute leafy heads shown here.
Aren’t they super cute ?!!!
4. Outdoor activity # 4- Raindrop splash painting: Just create a splash of color on a sturdy paper, take it out in the pitter patter, and enjoy the art made by your little one and rain together. Simple, quick and easy.
Pure alchemy...all done by your tiny tot.
5. Outdoor activity #5:Making mud homes: If you are like me and don’t desist messy soiled clothes- (Lying, I am also wary of those :-p) here is a good fun activity for you. Get a huge tub or an open corner in the park. Go out there with your kid donning some old T-shirts/ or your husband’s discarded T-shirt over his clothes. Make mud houses, bridges, anything that you can think of. If you are afraid of quality of soil, you can make kinetic sand at home or get good soil from some nursery and set it up at home.
More on holed up in the rain crafts in my next article. So do keep a peep over here.
Image Sources : All the images in this article are original, belong to the author and can’t be reproduced in any form without the permission of the author.
If you are reading this article on our website and have an Android phone, please download our APP here for a more personalised experience based on your lifestage.