Top 10 Travel Destinations In India for A Rocking Family Trip
Vacationing with family does not always have to be long, exotic holidays abroad. It can also mean bonding as a unit closer home amidst riveting architectural wonders, pristine beaches and divine hill stations. India has a lot to offer.
Here’s a list of 10 destinations in India that could make a perfect getaway for your family.
1. DELHI-JAIPUR-AGRA: Also known as the Golden Triangle, a trip to one of these cities is never over without visiting the other two. A good time to visit would be between October to March
Let’s begin with our capital city. Delhi has a persona of its own. The architecture, monuments, yummy street food and bustling bazaars all remind you of the rich history influenced by the Mughal empire. Delhi has something for everyone.
MUST SEE: India Gate, Connaught Place, Chandni Chowk, Jama Masjid, Janpath, Sarojini Market, Qutub Minar
Agra—home to world’s most beautiful wonders—the Taj Mahal. Visit the Taj and immerse yourself in its magnificent architecture and beauty.
MUST SEE: Taj Mahal, Fatehpur Sikri, Agra Fort
NOTE: The Taj Mahal is closed on Fridays so plan accordingly.
After Delhi and Agra, head to Jaipur for a dose of royalty with all its culture, art and hand crafted souvenirs.
MUST SEE: Hawa Mahal, Nahargarh Fort, Johri Bazaar, Chokhi Dhani
- Pack plenty of kiddie snacks such as cereal bars.
- Carry sufficient diapers, formula etc if you’re travelling with a baby.
- Weather ranges from pleasant to very cold, so keep those sweaters/ shawls/ pullovers handy.
2. DARJEELING: As one of the most gorgeous hill stations in the country, Darjeeling promises experiences for the entire family. Right from riding the heritage toy train to visiting rare animals at the zoological park, this place will definitely bring out the child in you. Best time to visit April to June is ideal; October to March can get too cold.
MUST SEE: Darjeeling Himalyan Railway (Toy Train), tea gardens, Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park, Buddhist Monastery, Batasia Loop, Darjeeling Ropeway (Cable Car)
- Weather can be cold hence pack accordingly especially for kids.
- Make vehicle arrangements as not all places to visit are close by.
3. RAJASTHAN: Looking for a cultural yet leisurely holiday and with delicious food on offer, then Rajasthan is the right choice. You could explore the state via train as well. The Royal Rajasthan on Wheels allows you explore places like Jodhpur, Udaipur, Chittorgarh, Ranthambore and Jaipur. A good time to visit would be between October to March
MUST SEE: Jantar Mantar, Hawa Mahal, City Palace, Albert Hall Museum, Dargah Sharif, Pushkar, Chittorgarh Fort, Jaisalmer Fort, Lake Pichola, Gadsisar Lake, Jodhpur, Umaid Bhawan, Sheesh Mahal, Puppet Show at the Heritage Museum, Johri Bazaar, Sadar Bazaar
- Rajasthan on Wheels has many route plans you can choose from. Plan your route in advance.
- There is a lot to explore in Rajasthan, but make sure you chalk out a relaxed itinerary to avoid a hectic trip.
4. NORTH-EAST INDIA: The North-East states, also known as the Seven Sisters have their share of amazing adventures to offer. With picturesque views of the valleys, clear lakes and cloud-kissed hill tops, this part of India looks like a beautiful painting filled with myriad colours. Take a trip on the wild side and visit captivating wildlife parks or get in touch with your spiritual side at the mystical monasteries. A good time to visit the region would be from November to May.
MUST SEE: Kaziranga Wildlife Park, Tawang Monastery, Nathula Pass (Avoid if travelling with an infant), Cherrapunji, Phodong Monastery, Dampa Tiger Reserve, Pelling, Sikkim, Dzouku Valley, Nagaland
- Road travel which is the most common mode of travelling in the region can get uncomfortable for young kids or elderly members.
- Tourist and public buses are limited, hence easiest way around is to hire your own vehicle.
- Internet connectivity can be a challenge.
- North East India consists of 7 states hence visiting all in the same trip will be impossible, so choose wisely.
- Climate can vary, some regions are very cold even in the summers. So pack clothing accordingly.
5. NAINITAL AND JIM CORBETT NATIONAL PARK: Located at the foothills of Uttarkhand, Nainital is a perfect family getaway destination. It boasts of scenic, snowcapped mountains making it an excellent choice to visit during the summers, so a visit between March to June would be perfect. Don’t miss the Jim Corbett National park, which is a 2 hour drive from Nainital.
MUST SEE: Naini Lake, Eco Cave Gardens, Snow View Point, Pt GB Pant High Altitude Zoo, Gurney House, Kilbury Bird Sanctuary and Jim Corbett Park.
- Check the official website of Jim Corbett Park for safari timings and other dos and don’ts.
- Few places involve a slight trek so wear comfortable shoes and carry along baby carriers if travelling with an infant.
6. KARNATAKA: A state with a medley of lakes, heritage, culture, beautiful hill stations and beaches. Few not-to-be missed places are Bangalore, Coorg and Mangalore. Many places have different ideal time, but between August to November is usually a good time.
MUST SEE: Belur, Halebid, Hampi, Bandipur National Park, Bangalore and Mysore, Chikmagalur, Dandeli, Gokarna, Karwar, Coorg and Mangalore.
- Visiting all the famous places can prove taxing; choose the ones your family will enjoy.
- Road travel can be draining as some highways/ interstate roads are not maintained.
- The language spoken by locals is Kannada, but many do understand Hindi and a bit English.
- If you’re pressed for time, hop between cities via air as most cities are connected by flight
7. GOA: It isn't only for couples or singles or friends, it’s a family holiday destination as well. Its innumerable beach locations means kids can have their share of beach activities as well. Parents and grandparents can relax at the shacks nearby as they sip on cocktails or relish Goan food. If not, then you can just head into the city to experience a blend of Portuguese and Indian architecture and culture. A good time to visit would be from November to March.
MUST SEE: Sahakari Spice farm, Goa Chitra Museum, Dudhsagar Falls, Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary, Famous Beaches, Goa Forts like Tiracol and Chapora, Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary and Bondla Wildlife Park
- Dress light, carry sunscreen, an umbrella or a hat and sunglasses.
- Carrying an umbrella stroller or a baby knapsack will be useful if travelling with a baby.
- Baby food and diapers are available at shops but it's better to be stocked up during travel.
- Choose beaches with low tide and lesser crowd so it’s safe for the kids to play.
8. KERALA: Known as Gods own Country, Kerala is synonymous with coconut trees, backwaters and yummy food! Apart from these, this southern state offers hill stations, wildlife and breathtaking tea gardens. You can choose to spend your vacation on boathouses or in villas overlooking the calm backwaters. Best time to visit would be in October.
MUST SEE: Munnar, Allepey, Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary, Bekal, Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Thekkady, Wayanad, Varkala Beach
- Here’s how you can plan a 7 day itinerary in Kerala.
- Each place in Kerala has a best time to visit so enquire before planning
- Food in most places is kid-friendly; ask for options like Pongal, Dosa and Idhiyapam
- Don't forget to buy famous tea that is available at hill stations like Munnar
- Read more about planning a 7 day trip to Kerala with Kids
9. PONDICHERRY: Also known as Puducherry and lovingly called 'Pondy' is made up of picturesque French buildings that house restaurants and quaint boutiques as well as quirky Indo-Western shops. You can visit the many churches or simply relax at the beach. A good time to visit would be in October to February.
MUST SEE: Auroville, Auroville Beach, Pondicherry Botanical Gardens, Promenade, Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Pondicherry Museum, Chunnambar Boat Ride, Eglise De Notre Dame Des Anges, Ousteri Lake
- Pack light, quick-drying clothes
- Carry an umbrella as Pondicherry experiences light rain showers often
- Carry cash as many small restaurants don't accept cards.
- Best to avoid crowded beaches as they are filled with hawkers
- Staying at a beach resort is a good option as will give you access to a clean, private beach
10.ANDAMAN AND NICOBAR ISLANDS: With destinations like this, travelling abroad to pamper your beach fix isn’t required. This tropical island is home to coral reefs and sandy beaches with different hues of blue. It offers everything a family needs to take a break and do nothing but relax. A good time to visit would be between October to May
MUST SEE: Havelock Islands, Cellular Jail, Andaman Water Sports Complex, Sea Walking and Bird Watching and Island Hopping
- It rains often there so be prepared.
- Carry insect repellent and lots of sunscreen.
- Some of the waves at the beaches can have strong currents so be aware with the kids around.
- Not all places in Nicobar Islands are open to tourists as they still have tribes living there.
Explore the entire collection of articles: Baby on Board
If you are reading this article on our website and have an Android phone, please download our APP here for a more personalised experience based on your lifestage
Read More On Baby