Vegan And Pregnant? Here is The Ultimate Diet Plan to Meet Your Nutritional Needs!
If you are a Vegan, who is expecting, you may be concerned about your baby’s growth and nutrition intake. Well the good news is - you can follow a vegan diet and have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.
All you need is to make sure, that your diet includes Protein, calcium, iron, vitamin B12 and vitamin D.
Sources of Protein:
- All kinds of Lentils and Legumes like moong, tur, masoor, rajma, chana, soybean, whole grains, soy and nuts and seeds
- Split or green peas
- Black, navy, kidney or pinto beans
- Bulgar (Dalia), buckwheat (Kuttu) and whole wheat couscous
- Whole-wheat pasta
- Whole-grain cereals and breads
- Nut butters made of Almond/ Peanut/ Cashew
- Walnuts, cashews, pistachios, almonds, Brazil nuts and pine nuts
- Soy milk
Sources of Calcium:
- All kinds of Green leafy vegetables
- Soy milk
- Calcium-fortified orange juice
Sources of Iron:
- Soy products
- Oat bran
- Pumpkin seeds
- Dried fruit
- Spinach, all other greens leafy vegetables
Sources of Vitamin B12:
- Vitamin B12-fortified soy milk
- Fortified cereals
Sources of Vitamin D:
- Fortified soy milk, breads, cereals and Orange juice are a few sources of Vitamin D. However, they are usually not enough. It is important therefore, to take a supplement to meet your daily requirements of Vitamin D.
- For a Vegan diet plan, substitute milk with Almond / Cashew / Peanut / Coconut milk. Various milk products like cheese and yoghurt can be made from these milks. Substitute paneer with tofu.
- Green smoothie with spinach, apple, lemon, peanut butter with whole grain bread, jowar dosas, whole grain bread sandwich with hummus, tomatoes and lettuce, flax seeds can be eaten as breakfast or as snacks in between.
- With a little thought and some planning, a well-balanced pregnancy vegan diet - that is focused on the above nutrients can ensure that you get all your necessary nutrients. In addition do take all your prenatal vitamins every day.
- Visit your doctor for all of your prenatal appointments. Your doctor will monitor you and will keep a check to ensure you are not deficient of the nutrients you need. Ask your doctor if you have any doubts or questions regarding your diet.
For a personalized diet chart to suit your requirement and more information regarding healthy, tasty, nutritious recipes, please contact Seema Kazi Rangnekar
If you are reading this article on our website and have an Android phone, please download our APP here for a more personalised experience based on your lifestage.