5 Home Remedies to Comfort Your Child During Fever
Fever is one thing which can trouble your baby and you multiple times in a year throughout the early childhood (0-5) years .
Here are some handy tips that can help you lower your child’s temperature safely and bring in some relief.
1. Cold Compress
- Take some tap water in a bowl, soak a clean cloth in the water.
- Place the wet cloth on your baby’s forehead.
- Replace the cloth when it gets warm with a fresh one.
- Repeat till the temperature reduces.
2. Keep your baby in a cool place
- Keep your baby in relatively cooler temperature (22-24 oC)
- Don’t use temperatures lower than 22 oC, as it can make your baby feel cold and cause shivering.
- If using a fan, avoid keeping the baby directly under it and keep the fan at a low setting.
3. Lukewarm bath or sponge bath
- A lukewarm bath or body sponging can help your baby relax and regulate body temperature.
- It also improves sleep, helping in speedy recovery.
- Give 2-3 baths a day for babies younger than 6 months; 5-6 baths can be given to older babies.
4. Right clothing
- It’s a common mistake to layer the child in clothes, during fever.
- Dress your baby in one layer of light clothing, preferably loose and of cotton.
- Use only a light blanket to cover the baby.
5. Breast milk
- If your baby is under six months, breast milk is important in balancing nutrients and strengthening immunity. So, breastfeed your baby frequently.
- If your baby is refusing feeding, you can use a breast pump and feed using a spoon.
- Fluids help in cooling down as well as replace the fluid loss occurring through perspiration, especially in babies older than 6 months.
- You can give ORS solutions in warm water.
- You can also give cold milk, fruit juice, or yoghurt.
It is important to consult your pediatrician and not to self-medicate, if the temperature is too high.
Take care! Offer a lot of body contact and love through your palms.
Disclaimer: BabyChakra does not promote self-diagnosis or self-medication. The views expressed thereof, are by a homeopathic consultant, and are purely for informative purposes.
Explore the entire collection of articles: Kid's Health