10 Tips For Breastfeeding Twins That Will Make it Work For You!
Most moms who are expecting twins are told that breastfeeding is going to be a challenge! The fact, however, is that with the right knowledge, preparation and support, it is very much possible to breastfeed twins exclusively for the first six months.
Keep in mind the following:
- Prepare yourself during pregnancy. Take a Breastfeeding class especially designed for Twin pregnancies, Also read: 9 Reasons Why You Must Visit a Lactation Specialist as a Breastfeeding Mother!
- Let your family know that you would like them to be positive as you get through the first few days. It is very important to get family support.
- Invest in a good breast pump. You may want to invest in a double breast pump. Also read: All you need to know about Pumping Breast Milk
- Invest in a good breastfeeding pillow which is designed for twins as it will help you to eventually feed both babies together.
Twins do come a little early which could mean that they are small for age and may not have developed a strong suckling reflex. You can express breast milk and feed the babies using a vati and spoon. Also read: Suckling And Sucking Milestones: How They Help in Developing Swallow in Infants
- If the babies need to be in the NICU, then you can express the breast milk and provide for feeding. This will also ensure that your supply is maintained and when the babies are back with you, your body has an abundant supply. Also Read: Preemie Baby
- In the first few days, learn how to feed by working with one baby at a time. Once you and the babies have learnt how to get going then you can start feeding both babies at the same time. This can be extremely time saving for the mother.
When you are ready to feed both babies together, latch the first baby to the breast. The second baby may still be asleep, however, with a little cajoling he/she will be ready to take a feed. You will need some support in getting the second twin latched on while the first is feeding. Over a few days, this routine will get well established for the babies. Also Read: Your Guide To Latching And Breastfeeding Positions!
- Do not assign one breast to each twin. Alternate breasts. It is normal for one twin to be more aggressive and the other to be more relaxed. Which means that if you assign a breast to each twin, one breast will become more active and the other will be more passive.
- Remember breast milk has the right composition to support the growth and development of your babies. Breast milk can help them to gain weight optimally, especially for twins. Also Read: 9 Benefits of breastfeeding for a Mother
However different your twins maybe in their behavior, they will always love Mamma’s milk! Twosome Awesome! happy breastfeeding!
Image Source : themilkmeg, twin-pregnancy-and-beyond, expressing-mama
To book an appointment for Lactation Support. Click here.
Explore the entire collection of articles: Breastfeeding Tips