Constipation in infants is common but nothing much to worry about. As the baby starts taking solids, constipation is sign of inadequate fibre and fluids, which needs to be managed.
Here are a few tips for you to manage constipation in babies:
1. If your baby is completely on breastfeed, adjust your routine. Drink enough water and add more fiber-rich foods, especially fruits, dry fruits, vegetables, to your diet.
2. If your baby is on bottle feed, try and change the formula or the quantity.
3. If you have started solids, offer purees of broccoli, prune, pear, apple, banana and papaya. You can also give purees of steamed vegetables like carrot, beetroot, pumpkin, sweet potato, potato, gourds and so on.
4. Avoid rice, wheat, refined cereals or puffed rice and replace it with brown rice or millets, at least until the bowels clear naturally without stress.
5. Soak 4 to 5 dry raisins, dry apricots, or, dry dates, puree it and give it to your baby. They have high nutrition value as well as fiber content.
6. Add small quantity of asafetida (hing) to your baby’s porridge.
7. Gentle belly massages with a relaxing oil or ginger juice mixed with oil are also helpful in stimulating gut movements.
8. Homoeopathy medicines like nux vomica, magnesium carbonica are safe and quite effective but they shouldn’t be given without consulting a doctor.
Most importantly, let your baby enjoy a lot of tummy time and engage him/ her in physical activities. The more the muscles move, the more they will learn to move!
Disclaimer: BabyChakra does not promote self-diagnosis or self-medication. The views expressed herein, are of a homeopathic pediatrician, and are to be used with discretion.
Explore the entire collection of articles: Kid's Health