It’s the third day of Navratri and today’s colour is the rather enigmatic grey. The colour grey looks nondescript, quite like us mums on some days, but when we our loved ones are in trouble, we can turn into a thundering grey storm to drive their troubles away, isn’t it? (we turn into grey storms when our husbands don’t listen to us as well. :) )
Now, which food is grey yet appetising? It’s water chestnut flour, or shingada atta!
Nutritious and tasty, shingada is the perfect Navratri upwas (fasting) food. Where’s the grey you ask? Well, these mini wadas made with the grey flour when fried, turn golden and mouthwatering!
BTW, if you missed the recipe for Day 2 - the mouthwatering Simply Green Pesto Chilli Cheese Toast, read it here.
1. Heat 1tsp oil in a kadhai, add jeera and let it splutter.
2. Now, add green chillies followed by dhania jeera powder
3. Next add the mashed potatoes, followed by the turmeric, garam masala and pink salt
4. Now add coriander leaves and mix well. Take the kadhai off the stove and let this mix cool
5. To make the shingada dough, take the flour in a bowl. Add some salt, 1 tsp oil and mix. Now add water and make a tight dough.
6. Roll out roundels and flatten them out.
7. Now use a round cutter or small bowl or lid and make some circles.
8. Fill each circle with some of the potato mix and make a mini round wada out of it.
9. Heat oil in a kadhai. When the oil is hot, put 5-7 wadas at time and fry till they are golden brown.
10. Serve hot!
Shingada (Water chestnut) benefits
We have a recipe to tickle your sweet tooth to celebrate tomorrow’s colour! Can you guess what it could be?
All Images in this article are original and belong to the author. Reproducing them in any form without the permission of the author will not be allowed.
Also read: Navratri Special: Navratri Special: Simply Green Pesto Chilli Cheese Toast
Explore the entire collection of articles: Fun Recipe
If you are reading this article on our website and have an Android phone, please download our APP here for a more personalised experience based on your lifestage.