An Ultrasound test helps in diagnosis of various medical conditions and physical defects in the body. However, it is chiefly used during pregnancy to assess the wellbeing of the growing baby. Ultrasonography during pregnancy is safe, painless, cost-effective and easy to carry out.
The ultrasound imaging technique uses sound waves to recreate the image of internal organs on a computer screen. The high frequency sound waves used do not harm the body, unlike ionizing radiations e.g. X-rays.
With new and several improvements (3D and 4D scans) in the technique the utility of ultrasound imaging has increased, giving a lot more information.
Ultrasonography report of pregnancy gives a ton of information about the fetal well being. There are standard information sets in the scan which includes indication for ultrasound scan (first, second or third trimester) and method used to do the scan (transabdominal or transvaginal).
In addition, the first trimester pregnancy report includes the details listed below.
1. It confirms the number of babies growing inside i.e. whether they are single, twins, triplets, etc.
2. Gestational age (GA) or age of pregnancy is calculated using date of last menstrual period and using ultrasound based on the crown rump length or total length of the foetus.
3. Estimated date of delivery (EDD) is calculated separately using GA from LMP and U/S method respectively.
4. General evaluation:
5. Foetal biometry:
6. Foetal anatomy – indicates appearance of different organs of the foetus. Such as head, face, spine, chest, kidneys, etc.
7. Cardiac position, cardiac size and four chambers – shows normal or abnormal position, size and four compartments of heart, heart beat.
8. Gender – Gender or sex of the baby is not mentioned in India, but is visible to the doctor conducting the ultrasonography.
9. Impression – Result of the scan to show normal single or multiple pregnancy.
Second or third trimester pregnancy ultrasound report includes all the information present in first trimester scan along with some additional parameters.
Talk to your gynaecologist if you wish to understand in detail how your baby is growing. The ultrasound report will give you a gamut of details that tells the gynaecologist that the baby is growing well, without any concerns. Your little bundle of joy will be due soon!
Explore the entire collection of articles: Pregnancy Must Know