Common Home Remedies Every Mom Should Know
Being a mom, you spend a lot of time worrying about the childhood illnesses that they often have to deal with. Here’re some home remedies which often work with every child.
This is primarily a common problem in newborn. Usually 0-to-3 months-old-babies have very strong metabolism and all the breast milk might get used up resulting in no stool passing for as long as 5 days in a row.
Look out for signs if your baby is restless, has a bloating in stomach, stomach feels hard to touch, vomits during or just after feeding, seems uneasy even after burping, isn't able to sleep and is cranky especially in evening hours, then it might be due to constipation.
Here’re few remedies which have always worked with me:
Always facilitate to wind/burp your baby, until they start unassisted sitting. This helps in getting out the blocked wind in food pipe and helps peristalsis. Sometimes, a toddler also needs a Burp, if they've had any liquid intake while lying down on bed, hold them in sitting position till they feel relaxed and burp.
Take a tablespoon of breastmilk (or fresh milk in case of kids more than 1-year-old), blend ½ almond, ½ clove, 3 to 4 carom/celery seeds, 2 strands of saffron. Make a thick paste and give it to baby before breastfeeding.
Boil and cool a tablespoon of water, add a pinch of Asafoetida (heeng) and apply this warm solution to baby's tummy in clockwise motion.
4. Ayurvedic drops
If your baby is 3-months or older, you can start giving ayurvedic drops available in the market, after consulting your pediatrician
5. Apple juice
Fresh apple is of the best known remedies for constipation, it not only helps in better digestion but also leads to more water absorption in the large intestine hence facilitating softer stool passing in babies. Also, it is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. This is why an apple a day keeps a doctor away.
1. Bicycling your baby's legs
This motion eases out pain and releases the gas. This can be done as much as 4 to 5 times. Please do not try this exercise just after feeding otherwise reflux may occur.
2. Celery/Carom seeds
Add a teaspoon of Ajwain in a glass water, let it boil until mixture remains half. Give 2 spoonful of this liquid whenever the baby gets cranky.
Grate some ginger and add jaggery powder, Give a spoonful of this mixture to ease the stomach pain.
Boil half a teaspoon of cumin seeds in a glass of water, give small sips in short intervals of one hour. It is recommended for babies of 6 months and above.
For Loose Motions
This is one of the most common problem while a baby starts teething. Remember it’ is not the erupting teeth but the dirty objects they mouth which can cause infection in the babies. It makes babies lethargic and cranky and dehydrated. During this phase, high fibre and high fat diet should be restricted! Trying the following might help:
- Bananas- They are easy to digest and help to bind stool
- Rice and Curd- They are easy to digest carbohydrate rich and give soothing effect to the digestive system.
- Apple sauce/ Apple Puree (peeled)- While apple juice helps in constipation, stewed or pureed apple helps to bind stool. It is one of preferable cures for diarrhea. If your baby isn't liking the taste, add ground half clove, pinch of salt and sugar.
- Toasted Bread- Try to give white bread when baby is having loose stools, it helps to solidify the loose motion.
- Coconut Water- Coconut water can be given to babies above 6 months of age in small quantities (try to give at least 30 to 50 ml after passage of each watery stool). It replenishes the electrolytic balance and thus prevents dehydration.
- Home-made ORS- This can be prepared by adding 6 spoons of sugar and 1/2 spoon of salt in 1 litre water. However, try to get ORS solution for infants asap because home made ORS doesn't have all the required nutrients.
Also read: 5 Nani- Maa Ke Nuskhe Which Always Helped Me
Explore the entire collection of articles: Home Remedies#homeremedies #healthyissues