7 Apr 2022 | 4 min Read
Author | 2578 Articles
Our ancestors have always believed in treating illnesses with plants and herbs, hence the origin of ayurveda took place. But before its roots spread wide and deep, this art took a back-step as ‘English Medicine’ became a frontrunner. These medicines come with a number of side effects unlike herbal medications and they only work on the disease and not on the root cause of the problem.
In recent times, however, ayurveda is becoming increasingly popular as more and more people realize how beneficial it is. Adapting this art of curing diseases doesn’t mean you have to go find the rarest herb in the midst of himalayas and consume it. There are many simple and easily available plants that you can grow right in the comfort of your home to take a step towards a healthier you.
Here are a few such plants:
Giloy is a plant full of medicinal properties from the leaf to the stem and it can be consumed by everyone in the family.
– If you have fever, consuming the mixture of juice extracted from the stem of Giloy with honey 3 times a day will help reduce the temperature by boosting your resistance. The dried stem can be also used to make kashaya to treat cold and cough.
– Giloy is also used to treat skin problems. Grind the leaves with a pinch of turmeric and apply it over the affected area. Do this regularly to see noticeable difference in the texture of your skin.
– Drinking giloy juice on an empty stomach everyday can also keep your sugar levels in check.
Everyone knows it’s essential to have a tulasi pot in front of the house but not many people are aware of why.
– Tulasi is an excellent remedy for cold and cough. Just have 5 to 10 tulasi leaves after your lunch and your immunity will increase 3 fold. If you don’t prefer eating raw leaves you can extract juice out of it and mix it with honey before consumption.
– Tulasi with turmeric powder is a classic combination that has been used since ages to treat skin problems like rashes and acne.
– Kids usually have worms in their stomach because of their not-so-hygeinic habits, tulasi seeds will help in getting rid of them.
– You can even purify water by adding a few tulasi leaves in it; Remember the theertam (holy water) you are given in temples?
Brahmi is a super food that is extremely advantageous to children. It grows in areas with high water content.
– It is scientifically proven to increase your memory power by improving the retention quantity of the brain.
– Brahmi is used in ayurveda to treat nervous weakness.
– For kids that are learning to speak, having a few brahmi leaves everyday will decrease the chances of a stutter and will enable them to speak more clearly.
– It improves your body’s resistance to germs thereby making you immune to common illnesses.
4. Curry leaves
Curry leaves are an everyday item in Indian cuisine and you might’ve guessed by now that it is added not just for the flavour.
– Curry leaves help in obesity. If consumed on an empty stomach everyday, you’ll see those extra pounds being shed in no time.
– Having crushed curry leaves with honey will improve the iron levels in your blood.
– Apart from the numerous health benefits, curry leaves also help in preventing hair fall. You can eat them everyday or you can boil a few leaves with coconut oil and apply this mixture to your hair a few hours before you wash your hair. It will also reduce dandruff and other scalp related problems.