Best Sunscreens For You!
Sunscreens are one of the most important skincare product; must have in Summers and good to use otherwise as well.
Sun rays comprise of Ultraviolet (UV), visible light and Infrared rays (IR). Out of these, UV rays cause maximum damage to our skin leading to ageing and tanning of skin. UV rays are of three types- UVA, UVB and UVC. From these, only UVA and UVB reach us.
UVA rays are present all the time even on a cloudy or rainy day. These cause wrinkles, pigmentation, blemishes etc., while UVB rays are more intense when sun is strong usually between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm. These leads to tanning and burning of skin.
Ideally the sunscreen should protect from both UVA and UVB rays. The SPF (Sun Protection Factor) protects from UVB rays and should be atleast 20. Along with SPF, the sunscreen should also have PA Protection to protect from UVA so check for PA+++ on the sunscreen.
How to Use the Sunscreen?
1. Use sunscreen as per your skin type- a moisturizing one for normal to dry skin and gel based for combination and oily skin.
2. SPF of atleast 20 is must even if you are indoors and 30 is required if you are occasionally out and SPF 50 is must for beach and for swimming.
3. People with fairer and/or sensitive skin should use higher SPF than those with wheatish or darker complexion.
4. Apply a thick layer 20 minutes before stepping out on all exposed parts.
5. Reapply every 3-4 hours depending on the SPF used.
6. Sunscreen should be used for both adults and kids
Skincare after sun exposure
Once you come back from sun, cool your skin by washing your face with mild cleanser and cold water. Apply a soothing cream with tea tree oil or aloe vera gel. Avoid any kind of ex foliation, which can damage the skin further.
Tanning- Prevention and Removal
Sunscreen usually do not prevent tanning to a great extent, hence either physical protection like with full covered clothes, scarves, hats etc is required. In case of skin tanning, Mix besan with yoghurt and lemon juice. Apply on the tanned areas and let it dry. Once dried, scrub it off and wash with water.
Hope this will help you with your summer skin protection. Do share your comments and queries.