Home Remedies For Constipation In Babies
Constipation is one of the very general problems seen in babies. It makes them fussy and they undergo a lot of discomforts. Signs that baby is constipated are:
- Crying a lot
- Not feeding or eating properly
- Straining while bowel movement
- Firm belly
It is important to notice the early signs and give the required treatment. One thing I want to mention here is that formula fed babies are constipated more as compared to breastfed babies. My baby was combination fed (breast milk+ formula milk) till six months. Once I started semi-solids and now solids, I stopped using formula milk and that solved the problem instantly.
Baby younger than 6 months:
If the baby is less than six months of age, nothing can be given to him/ her, not even water. However, there are few remedies a mom can follow (breastfeeding mothers).
- Eat papaya daily
- Drink fennel seeds water once a day
- Boil water with carom seeds (ajwain), and drink water in regular intervals
- Stay hydrated
- Have a pinch of asafetida (hing) after every meal
Baby is Six months plus
As semi-solid food is started after six months, there are some foods that can be given to baby for an easy bowel movement.
- Water is introduced at six months which definitely helps in proper digestion and hence treating constipation.
- Papaya mash (after 7 months)
- Pear mash (super food)
Cut down on constipating foods like rice, bananas, and cooked carrots. The fruits can also be given in a combination of twos. Prunes are dried plums and should be given in small quantities. The fruits contain a lot of fiber and antioxidants, which are very helpful to cure all digestion related problems.
Apart from these, light massage on stomach in a circular motion, moving baby’s legs in cycling motion and tummy time prove to be very helpful.