A Guide To Choose The Right Baby Bottle
Breastfeeding is best! After the wonderful process of breastfeeding comes the difficult task of weaning. With weaning comes the worry of exposing your baby to the outside world. Every mom undergoes the dilemma of making the right decision when it comes to introducing the right product to her baby, especially because safety is of utmost important. One such product is a baby bottle.
A bottle is an easy and the most convenient way to transition babies from breast. It not only helps a working mom manage her baby’s feeding routine but also allows other family members to take care of baby’s feed while giving the much awaited rest and break to mom.
Baby market is loaded with a variety of feeding bottles and as a new mom, it is easy to get confused when making a decision. Since the belief is to give the best to babies, moms are always on a lookout to give the latest and the most recommended product in the market. Here is a complete guide that will make sure you never go wrong in picking the right bottle for your baby.
Plastic bottles being unbreakable and transparent are easy to clean and budget friendly. While parents are cautious and aware to pick a BPA free plastic bottle, it is important to make sure the bottle is also EA free.
Why EA free?
Studies have shown that BPA is not the only chemical one should avoid when looking to purchase a safe baby bottle. Plastic-containing products claiming to be BPA-free can still leach chemicals that can cause estrogenic activity. BPA free bottles may still release estrogenic and androgenic activity (EA) chemicals, when exposed to sun or when heated. EA disruptors mimic the function of estrogen and androgen in the body and are considered as harmful for baby’s health.These EA disruptors are known to cause life threatening illnesses and long lasting impact on brain development and hormones.
Glass bottles are another great option. They are transparent and odourless. However, these bottles are more prone to contamination when compared to plastic bottles. They are also breakable and heavy for babies to hold.
Another option for baby bottles is a stainless steel bottle. These bottles are relatively expensive and lack transparency making it difficult to measure the feed. They are bad insulators making it inconvenient for babies to hold if the content is too cold or warm. Stainless steel bottles also have the potential to leach heavy metals in the feed.
Shape and Size
- Wide necked bottles work well for new born babies or babies transitioning from breast to bottle. Always start with a smaller size bottle (60ml) for new born as their intake is less.
- Tall bottles work well with little bigger babies. Go for bigger bottles (125ml or 250 ml) if your baby has grown in appetite.
- Babies are prone to colic. Colicy babies cry incessantly due to discomfort caused by gastroesophageal reflux. Always go for bottles that have non-intrusive anti colic system with bars at the base instead of vent to avoid bubbles. No bubbles means no colic.
- Angled bottles help prevent baby from swallowing air and is known to prevent ear infections
Nipple size and flow
Once you pick the right bottle, it's time to choose the right nipple. Nipples come in various sizes and flow speeds.
- Use slow flow nipples for newborn since till they are old enough to suck more efficiently.
- Slower flow nipples also suit babies who have difficulty swallowing or are prone to coughing or are not bottle friendly.
- Slow flow nipples also help babies who are transitioning from breast to bottle since it makes transition easier
- Higher flow nipples work well with babies who take longer to finish or get fussy when feeding or are prone to falling asleep when feeding.
- A slow flow nipple might work for milk for your baby while the same baby may prefer a fast flow nipple when drinking juice.
Once you have chosen your bottle and nipple, it is important to clean both before you start using them for your baby. Cleaning and sterilizing bottles can be a tedious process if you decide to scrub after every feed. While sterilizers are an easy and hassle free approach to make sure your bottle is fit for subsequent use, it is not very cost effective. Here are some pointers that will definitely make your bottle feeding journey stress free.
- Go for good quality bottles that do not require scrubbing or detergents.
- Go for bottles that clean easily under running water without the need to use brush.
- Bottles that are dishwasher safe are the most hassle free choice when it comes to regular cleaning
- Bottles and nipples should be easy to disintegrate for thorough cleaning
There is no one size fits all when it comes to baby bottles. Every baby is different. Babies latch differently, and have their own comfort level when it comes to bottle feeding. However, a guide like this will ensure you will never go wrong in making the perfect choice of your little one’s feeding bottle. Because weaning is the beginning of your journey with bottle and to make the best of your journey, you certainly do not want to make any compromises!
To buy ninio products click here.
Disclaimer: While BabyChakra strives to keep the content that it posts on website and app accurate, complete, and up-to-date, BabyChakra cannot guarantee, and is not responsible for, the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of any Content, whether provided by BabyChakra, its Providers or Users of the Website or App. Any shares, credits or distribution of this content should be done with due credits to BabyChakra and the author/owner.