Fun places to visit with your kid in Delhi
Delhi offers ample choices to the parents for the family's day out. Rife with amazing historical monuments, gardens, theme parks and high-end malls; Delhi has a whole lot in its bounty for all ages. Here are 5 exciting places to visit with kids for the ultimate fun and learning experience.
Address: National Zoological Park, Mathura Road, New Delhi – 110003, India
Contact: +91 11 24359825, 24358500
Closed: Friday & National Holidays
Timings: 1st April to 15th October: 9:00 am to 4:30 pm; 16th October to 31st March: 9:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Entree fee: Rs 40/- Adult, Rs. 20/- Kids (height under 3 - 5 ft,), Free for kids under 3 ft, Rs. 20/ - Senior Citizens
1. National Zoo sprawled in 214 acres is home to almost 1400 animals representing 130 species of birds and animals from around the world.
2. See wild animals like lions, tigers, bears living in their natural habitat. White tiger is a major attraction.
3. On the left side of the pathway you can see the ducks, crocodiles & migratory birds like macaws, peafowls and on the right, you will find enclosure for giraffes, monkeys, elephants, zebras, deers and African buffaloes.
4. There is a separate enclosure for different types of monkeys and chimpanzees which is quite popular among the kids.
5. You can also see different types of birds and reptiles in their dedicated enclosures.
Tips for moms:
1. Dress yourself and your kids in comfortable cotton clothes. Sports shoes are a must-have and sunglasses, caps and binoculars would be an added advantage.
2. No eatables allowed inside the zoo although there are many snack corners inside to take care of the hunger pangs.
3. If you want to cover the zoo in minimum time or are visiting with small kids, opt for battery operated cars plying inside the zoo. You can also carry the kid's trolleys along.
4. Although there is nice barricading and wiring done, still take care of your kids to prevent any accidental mishap.
Address: National Rail Museum, Chanakya puri, New Delhi
Contact: +91 11 26881816, 26880939
Closed: Mondays & National Holidays
Timings: 9:30 to 5:30 pm
Entrée fee: Rs. 20/- Adult, Rs. 10/- kids below 10 years.
Joy Train Ride: Rs. 20/-
1. Get the real feel of the railway station while waiting for the joy train. It takes you around a huge area passing through the tunnel and showing different train models on the way.
2. Railway museum houses exotic collection of static and working models, signaling equipment, antique furniture, historical photographs and related literature. Other attractions include life size Saloon car of King Edward the VII, Viceregal Dining Car, and Fairy Queen, world's oldest stream train.
3. The renovated railway museum offers the fountain show where water dances to the tunes of sound, an added attraction for the kids.
4. Play with your friends in the play area having swings, slides and other fun activities.
5. Don't forget to take back a souvenir of the train models from the Indian souvenir shop.
Tips for mom:
1. Preferably visit until noon to enjoy the museum in peace.
2. As of now only light snacks like tea, coffee and biscuits are available inside the museum, so plan your meals accordingly.
3. Take your camera along to click photographs along the locomotive models.
Address: Kotla Road, New Delhi - 110002
Contact: +91 11 23234701, 23236570
Closed: Sunday, Monday and all national holidays
Timings: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
Entrée fee: Free for kids
1.The Children's Museum located at Bal Bhavan possesses a rich collection of objects that fascinates children including toys and dolls from different countries, stone and bronze objects, craft material, musical instruments, currency of various countries etc. Participatory activities are also conducted, where children are free to experiment, observe and analyze.
2. Bal Bhavan also houses a Fish aquarium. Children can learn about the behavior of the fish, their food habits, the interdependence of different species living under water and fish breeding too.
3. Hop into the mini toy train and go around the National Bal Bhavan.
4. The laughing mirror is a big hit- which comprises of big concave and convex mirrors arranged in a manner to reflect funny, distorted images of anyone entering the room.
5. Other attractions are Mini Zoo, Traffic Park, Science Park depicting working models, Library & Sanskriti Shilp Gram.
Tips for mom
1. Dress your kids in any comfortable attire.
2. Keep water and some snacks along for the quick bites.
Address: Rajpath, India Gate, New Delhi, Delhi 110001
Contact: +91 11 2464 7005
Timings: Summers - 9:30 AM to 7:30 PM, Winters - 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM
1. The incredible 10-acres park is specifically designed for children to enjoy a variety of games and play equipment. The little ones can enjoy sliding, swinging, spinning, activity gym in the large play area.
2. After play, the kids can relax next to the musical fountain and the well maintained lawns.
3. Other attractions are library, aquarium, theater and amphitheater.
4. It's a delight to watch the beautiful illumination at sunset.
Tips for mom:
1. Don't forget to visit India Gate - 42 meter high stone memorial to pay tribute to the Indian soldiers. Walk with your kids upto the Amar Jawan Jyoti and let them soak in the proud feeling.
2. Area is huge and quite crowded so plan accordingly.
3. Dress your kids in comfortable clothes. Sports shoes would be ideal.
4. Street food hawkers are available – you can get soft drinks, bottled water and snacks at the entry point.
Address: Hauz Khas Village, New Delhi - 110016
Timings: Summers – Sunrise to Sunset
Open all days
No Entry Fee
1. Kids can spend quality time with their parents amidst the natural beauty of Deer Park.
2. The lake, rose garden and the historical ruins adds to the beauty of the park.
3. You can spot variety of birds including migratory ones during winters.
4. Deer and rabbits in their enclosed area is an attraction for kids too.
5. Kids, along with elders, can take leisure strolls on the paved paths created within the park.
Tips for mom:
1. You can organize a small picnic in the serene atmosphere.
2. For shopping and tasty treats, you can visit nearby Hauz Khas Village.
To get the complete list of children's park in Delhi, click here
Note from BabyChakra: The views and opinions expressed in posts are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views held by BabyChakra, its creators or employees. If you find yourself violently disagreeing with something and want to educate the world as a mother, please contact us about writing an article of your own voicing the contrary side of the issue. BabyChakra is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information provided herein by the bloggers. However, we respect the choices that the mother or parent has made, and trust that he/she has done her own due diligence.
Source for banner image: happytrips.com