Are you prepared enough for travelling with your baby?
After going through the demanding initial months of being a mother, you may want to satisfy your wanderlust with the baby in tow. Seeming like an arduous task? Fret not, here are some simple guidelines to keep your little one (0 -2 years) comfortable, thus making your trip a happy experience.
Pre-plan! It is said pre-warned is pre-armed.
1. Practise BabyWearing: Travel invariably means a lot of walking around, shopping or sight-seeing. You don't want strained arms carrying your baby all the while! Every place may not be baby carrier or stroller friendly, so, babywearing in modern, ergonomic carriers is the best bet! It's safe, convenient, comfortable for your baby and keeps you totally worry-free. You and your partner can take turns too unless you have twins! ;-) But this will need practice atleast for a month before you can travel.
2. Destination: The only mandatory checks is the climate. If it involves extremes, avoid it as it may not be a great idea to try out your baby's immunity this way! Also make sure to inquire with the hotel regarding sterilisation of baby bottles, availability of baby food on order!
3. Transport: If travelling by air, check with the airlines for additional help you can get on the aircraft - like warm water. Understand emergency actions well. For babies below 2 years, the ticket fee may be waived off but that would also mean no additional allowance for baby baggage, so make sure you use your 7 kgs well. Invest in a cosy car seat for travel by car. Keep essentials handy always.
4. Baggage- Buy one with multiple pockets, lots of space, having strong yet soft straps so that you can tug it along all the way without the shoulder/back pain.
5. Safety - Ensure to pack basic first-aid kit and medicines like baby's paracetamol, teething gel, supplements. Clothing accessories like hat/cap, extra socks, wrap cloth are also important.
6. Baby Toiletries & cosmetics - This is one thing that many parents miss out on! Carry a mini travel pack which has a body wash, shampoo, moisturizing cream and some anti-bacterial wipes. You could try Milk&Co's Take me Away Travel Pack which has 40 ml bottles, making it easy to carry. Top it up with a sunscreen if you are going to a sunny place. Not many baby brands have a baby specific sunscreen so, Milk & Co Protect me Sunscreen with SPF-15 is an option here too. Never use any cosmetics on your baby without trials at home. Add to your pack - a rash cream, an insect repellant cream/lotion and diapers to last your trip!
7. Baby Goodies: A wailing or upset baby can kill your experience! So pack her favourite soft toys, a rattle, a musical toy or her favourite book to keep her comfortable always.
8. Food and Drinks: If you are breastfeeding, carry nursing clothes and a nursing apron. If your baby has begun to wean off breast milk, carry something which is not perishable yet your baby can munch into. Ready-to-make baby foods, some fresh/packed juices/milk could be handy or even better is to allow self-lead weaning when the family eats. Factor in the time though. Don't miss to carry water and requisite feeders and sipping cups. That could help you carry liquid food from the hotel as well.
9. Invest in a good Camera - This can't be emphasized enough! Each moment is a treasure, capture it. Don't even wait for the right scenes!
10. Practice: Take short trips (day or weekend) to know what works and what suits your baby the most before setting out on longer vacations.
Go ahead and have fun on your little one's first vacation! Your baby too deserves a break, after all :-)
Find out more about Milk & Co India
Milk & Co. is a family company based in Australia, created by Olympic swimming champ Michael Klim, his wife Lindy, and their three kids, Stella, Rocco and Frankie. The Milk Baby range is made from the most natural and caring ingredients possible. Ingredients sourced in Melbourne. Milk Baby products will put a smile on everyone’s face. Designed from their first-hand experience as parents, Michael & Lindy Klim developed Milk Baby with products every parent needs, so you can feel confident about what you’re using on those who matter most. Milk Baby – made from all the good stuff.
Also read more about: All You Need to Know about Baby Massage, What every Mom must do to have a Stretch Marks-Free body?
Disclaimer: this post is sponsored by Milk & Co.