30 Aug 2022 | 3 min Read
Author | 630 Articles
For ages, camphor has been widely used in households for religious ceremonies, freshening a room, or for treating coughs and colds in adults and kids. However, there have been common instances of camphor poisoning and is considered dangerous for children due to its toxic properties. Here’s why you must avoid camphor and keep it away from children.
Camphor is a pleasant-smelling white solid substance commonly used for religious purposes. Besides that, there are many other uses stated for camphor which include treating colds and congestion, protecting against illness, and as an air freshener.
Camphor is commonly found as solid cubes or balls and is present in balms or ointments. They are also present in products that are used for vapour steam.
Camphor products are highly toxic and dangerous to young children. Many times, children tend to confuse camphor with sugar cubes and consume them. Even mouthing camphor or eating them can cause seizures. Applying balms containing camphor in large amounts and diluting it to the water of a room humidifier may also cause harm to a child’s health.
The onset of symptoms after ingestion of camphor may occur as early as within five to twenty minutes.
Camphor is also a fire hazard and hence it should be kept away from heat, including hot water and microwaves which can be within the reach of children. Heating camphor can cause splattering and result in burns. Children can get exposed to camphor if it is swallowed, breathed in, or if it touches the skin.
Should a child inhale camphor or accidentally even consume it in micrograms, here are the expected symptoms-
Prolonged exposure to camphor can even put kids at risk of brain damage.
If your child has congestion and a blocked nose, go for natural vapour patches that are free from camphor, like BabyChakra’s Natural Vapour Patch. It is safe for babies and adults, provides instant relief from nasal congestion and is effective for up to eight hours. It contains natural ingredients like peppermint oil and eucalyptus oil which are safe for babies and kids.
If your child shows signs of camphor poisoning, take him/her to the emergency room immediately. The best way out is to keep children out of reach of camphor and also avoid the ingredient in their skincare products.
Cover image credit – Tradeindia