13 Oct 2022 | 2 min Read
Dr Nidhi Sodhi
Author | 1 Articles
Miscarriage or loss of pregnancy is a tragic event. Identifying the actual reason behind a miscarriage is generally very difficult. Several factors like chromosomal abnormalities, medical/ health conditions, lifestyle, and medications contribute to miscarriage or increase the risk of stillbirths, pregnancy loss, or miscarriage.
A few of the medical/ health conditions that increase the risk of such events (miscarriage and stillbirths) include:
· Age of both the partners. The risk of miscarriage tends to increase in too early (less than 15 years of age) or late (more than 35 years of age) pregnancy.
· Previous history of miscarriage
· Infertility issue in either of the partners
· Obesity or overweight (high BMI)
· Underweight or poor nutrition
· Uncontrolled diabetes or high sugar levels
· Uncontrolled thyroid diseases
· Uncontrolled or long-term condition of high blood pressure
· Autoimmune disorders such as lupus
· Infections like rubella or cytomegalovirus
· Suffering from sexually transmitted disease (STD) such as syphilis, HIV, or chlamydia
· History or present condition on blood clotting or blocked blood vessels in the body.
· Abnormality in the uterus or uterine malformations such as the unicornuate uterus or septate uterus.
These above-mentioned health conditions should be prevented or well taken care of in both the partners when planning a pregnancy and during pregnancy in order to avoid mishappenings like miscarriage or stillbirth.
If you like the article, do rate us too on the google app store by using this link
Suggestions offered by doctors on BabyChakra are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by BabyChakra is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.