25 Apr 2022 | 2 min Read
Author | 2578 Articles
Every child loves toys. Any toy they lay their eyes on is going to be their obsession until they find another one. It is heartwarming to see them playing and being so cheerful and carefree. But are their toys safe?
Here’s what you should check up on when it comes to your child’s toys.
Do not buy any toys that have sharp edges. Your child may cut himself/herself while playing with it or even swallow it, leading to severe complications.
Check the label to see what the recommended age range or limit for each toy is. If you are buying toys that are meant for your 5 year old, keep it out of reach from your 2 year old. Keep check of these things when you go to a friend or relative’s house as well.
Do not purchase any toys that have long strings or cords on them, as it could get tangled around your child’s neck and strangle or choke your child. This includes toys like toy guitars with straps that go around your child’s neck or yo-yos.
Avoid buying any toy that has small parts that could get ingested or inhaled. Keep them away from any toy with small removable parts as well.
Ensure the toy is not toxic in case your child swallows or chews it. Plastic toys contain BPA, phthalates and certain amount of lead, which can be harmful for your baby. Most babies put their toys in their mouth, so it is best to buy toys that are marked non-toxic and BPA-free.
Check the decibel level of any toy that makes sounds or produces music, as it could harm your baby’s sensitive ears.
Small magnets could be swallowed by your child. Magnets are dangerous. If they swallow more than one magnet, it could get attached together while inside your child’s body and cause tears in their intestines or their esophagus. They would then need to be operated to remove it. There have been cases in the past where children died due to this. New toys are covered by a safety regulation that prevents magnets from being swallowed by encasing it in plastic.