26 Sep 2022 | 2 min Read
Dr Dimple Chhtwani
Author | 1 Articles
Firstly, it’s important for parents and mothers to know that waterbirth is very safe for the baby as when the baby is in the womb, he/she is in water too. the baby will not take his/her first breath till the time the umbilical cord is cut hence ruling out the chance of water getting filled in the baby’s lungs while water birthing.
Waterbirth has various advantages that include
· Lesser pain as compared to normal delivery
· Relaxation of the spinal cord when birthing due to the warm water used during water birthing
· Your birthing partner can be there to support you
· Short labour duration
· You can stay mobile while birthing
· No episiotomy (surgical cut) in most cases
· Medications and pharmacological methods used in water birthing are bare-minimum.
· Delayed cord clamping helps the baby with extra blood from the placenta.
· Womb to room transition
Additionally, water birth does not need extra preparation as it’s a natural form of delivery. The only thing you need to ensure is a healthy lifestyle. Waterbirth can also be possible with most high-risk pregnancies, and it’s even beneficial at times too. For example, in case of high blood pressure during pregnancy, water birth helps lower the blood pressure to an extent. On the other hand, if the baby is a large baby and the weight of the baby is high then waterbirth might not be possible. In short in cases when normal delivery is possible, waterbirth is possible.
Suggestions offered by doctors on BabyChakra are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by BabyChakra is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.