18 Jan 2023 | 2 min Read
Dr Vidhya Visanth
Author | 1 Articles
Mouth ulcers, also known as canker sores could be a result of vitamin deficiencies, biting, burns, rubbing of the braces, viral infection, oral thrush, or any other underlying help condition.
With proper care and treatment, these ulcers go away in a couple of days or a week. During this course of treatment, it is important to keep a few things in mind that support the healing process.
· Use natural remedies like honey, ghee, curd, and turmeric, as it can promote faster healing and reduce discomfort too.
· Use a soft-bristle toothbrush.
· Avoid using toothpaste and mouthwash that contain SLS (Sodium lauryl sulfate).
· Avoid having hard foods like nuts, chips, cookies, etc as it may irritate the site of infection of the ulcer.
· Avoid having spicy foods as they lead to irritation of the tissue.
· Avoid citrus fruits and acidic foods as they can worsen the ulcer by causing tissue irritation.
· Include soft and easily chewable foods like soups, purees, porridge, etc.
· Include vitamin-rich foods in the diet as vitamin deficiency is known to be one of the reasons causing mouth ulcers. Some of the foods options to include are spinach, avocado, seeds, bell pepper, carrot, beans, eggs, and sweet potato.
· Giving an ice cream or a chilled fresh juice once in a while can help soothe the pain and inflammation caused in the infected area of the ulcer.
Keep in mind these simple ways to promote faster healing of mouth ulcers in kids along with the use of doctor-prescribed ointment or gels.