Doula is a professional trained in childbirth who provides emotional, physical, and educational support to a mother who is expecting and giving birth. The doula’s purpose is to help & support her to have a safe, memorable and satisfying birthing experience.
While they have good knowledge and awareness of the birth process, a doula does not support the mother-to-be in a medical role. That is the job of the midwife or doctor. A doula helps the mother-to-be to achieve the birth she hopes for. Should a birth become complicated and require medical assistance, a doula will still remain by your side and help in any way she can. She will not make decisions for you, but she will assist you through the decision making process. A doula provides balanced information so the couple can make their own choices.
Many women consider doulas to be very helpful, especially for those giving birth in a hospital. Due to the over-medicalization of birth, inductions of labor have skyrocketed and numerous babies now born via c-section. By amping up your support team with experienced, continuous care from a doula, you're giving yourself an increased chance at a better experience.
Evidence shows that having Doula can:
- Reduce the risk of a c-section by 39%
- Increase the likelihood of a spontaneous vaginal birth by 15%.
- Lower the need for medical pain relief by 10%
- Shorter labors : by 41 minutes on average
- Healthier babies : Decrease in baby’s risk of a low five minute Apgar score by 38%
- Reduce the risk of reporting a negative birth experience by 31%
1. Birth planning and getting to know each other
2. Informational support during labor & birth
3. Physical support – to aid a less painful, smoother, more effective labor
4. Emotional support - Provide reassurance and encouragement
5. Help initiate breastfeeding
6. Help you and your family to have a happy and satisfactory birth experience
One prenatal visit, Birth Support: accompany mother once labor sets till birth & early initiation of breastfeeding AND One postpartum visit
Group or Individual: Individual