Day 17 Montessori-inspired Christmas Activity
I cannot believe the New Year is already almost here! And to think about it, New Year is indeed mother earth’s birthday, in the sense that it completes one more cycle around the sun. Well that is exactly why, I have decided to make today’s activity about celebrating the earth with a Montessori style birthday celebration.
Also, New Year is the perfect time to introduce, learn or revise months of the year and the concept of earth’s revolution round the sun.
AGE GROUP – 1 year onwards (Basically once the child can hold a ball and walk, you can do this activity)
- A candle or light or bulb to represent the sun
- Months of the year labels
- You and your child
TIME REQUIRED FOR ACTIVITY PREPARATION – 2 Minutes
HOW & WHAT TO DO
- Place the candle (or any source of light) at the centre of a large empty floor space. Tell your child that it represents the sun.
- Write month names on pieces of paper and arrange these labels around the sun in sequence. Something on these lines - Montessori walk around the sun setup
- Give the globe in your child’s hand and let him walk around the sun holding the globe.
- You can sing this song for some fun and learning!
- The earth goes around the sun, and then the year is done!
- You can talk about the concept of revolution, sun, earth, months, seasons etc as per your child’s age and understanding.
- Gross motor
CAN SOME MATERIALS BE REPLACED?
- If you do not have a globe, you can use a ball, preferably a blue one.
HOW TO TWEAK FOR YOUNGER KIDS
- You can skip all the information part of it and casually do the ceremony as a simple gross motor activity, going around the sun holding your hand.
HOW TO TWEAK FOR OLDER KIDS
- You can talk about how the earth goes round the sun
- You can talk about months and associated seasons
- You can use the month labels you created as flash cards and let your child learn the spellings just like sight words
Explore the entire collection of articles: Christmas & New Year#toddleractivity
Read More On Baby