Tips For Moms To Help Kids Fight Air Pollution In Delhi
We all have been constantly seeing the news about how Delhi is surrounded by air pollution and how it is affecting the people there. Social media and news channels are flooded with this news and as a mother, it pains me to even think how mothers there are protecting their kids from such a calamity.
What is causing air pollution in Delhi?
Source : business-standard
- Crop burning by farmers in neighboring states such as Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh.
- Traffic menace in Delhi is another reason for air pollution and smog.
- As we all know Delhi is over populated, it only adds to different kinds of pollution due to increase in number of vehicles.
- Large scale construction leads to increasing dust and pollution in the air.
- Garbage dumps and industrial pollution amounts to more polluted air.
- Burning fire crackers during Diwali inspite of the ban added to the buildup of smog.
Why are children more vulnerable to the toxic air?
Source : timesofindia
- Studies have shown that a child's organ including its lungs don't develop fully until they reach their teens.
- Since they spend more time outside they are highly exposed.
- They inhale more pollutants than adults.
- They are unable to perceive initial symptoms which will act as warning signal for problems.
Source : telegraphindia
Tips to combat air pollution
So, here I have listed down few things which moms can do to help their kids fight air pollution. I know it's easier said than done but I am sure we mothers go that extra mile to do anything for the benefit of our kids.
- Try to keep them indoors as much as possible. Keep them engaged in interesting indoor activities specially during early morning and evenings as the air pollution is severe these times.
- Install a good quality indoor HEPA air purifiers, especially for your kids bedroom.
- Keep your house free of any dust and smoke.
- Even if you have to venture out, ensure the kids wear high quality face masks. Look for either N95 or N99 rated masks and be sure the fit is secure with no outside gaps to let outside air in.
- Install air quality apps to monitor real time air quality and also to see forecasts for the next day.
- Ensure your kids school is taking necessary precautions to curb the air pollution.
- Get some air purifying plants at home like aloe vera and English Ivy.
- Give them food that is rich in antioxidants. Include food that includes vitamin c, magnesium and omega fatty acids.
- Let them drink adequate amount of water as it will help in flushing the toxins from the body.
- Do not burn garbage and avoid smoking as these will lead to polluting the air.
- Make some lifestyle changes by choosing public transport or car pooling to reduce the number of vehicles on the road.
- Spread the word in your group and neighboring communities on the perils of air pollution.
Source : timesofindia
I really hope you find this information useful and would anticipate that the situation gets better in Delhi soon.
Source of banner image: news18
Also read: Ways to Beat Delhi Air Pollution
Explore the entire collection of articles: Kids Health