Safe Prenatal Exercises During Pregnancy: Avoiding Physical Exertion
Safe exercises during pregnancy
Exercising during pregnancy is definitely a good option since it offers many health benefits. It is also completely safe to engage in some kind of physical activity during pregnancy in the recommended amount. It has been shown that regular and mild exercise during pregnancy can help prevent complications at the time of delivery. It may also help you have a shorter labor.
Regular and safe exercises during pregnancy can help in getting a good night’s sleep as well as reducing depression that may occur due to hormonal changes. It also helps in maintaining the optimum weight and preventing fatigue.
Your health practitioner will recommend some kind of physical activity unless there are conditions which will prevent you from exercising during pregnancy.
Is it safe to jog while pregnant?
Yes, jogging during pregnancy is safe. But you have to make sure that you do not jog for more than 15 minutes. You must stay hydrated if you run or jog.
What are some safe workouts while pregnant?
Safe workouts while pregnant include tummy strengthening exercises which help strengthen the abdominal muscles and ease the back pain.
You can also do pelvic tilt exercises to maintain your posture. To do these, stand with your shoulders and back against the wall. Relax your knees and try to flatten your back against the wall. Hold the position for a few seconds and then release. You can repeat this exercise 6-8 times.
Pelvic floor exercises are among safe workouts while pregnant. These are also beneficial as they help strengthen your pelvic muscles, which in turn reduce stress incontinence during and after pregnancy. These exercises are recommended to all pregnant women.
Are there any safe gym exercises during pregnancy?
Although it is safe to go gymming during pregnancy, you must be cautious that you do not use any heavy equipment. Be sure to tell your gym instructor how much exercise you are comfortable with. Many gyms offer special classes for pregnant women, which are safe and beneficial. The most common ones include Pilates, yoga, water aerobics, walking on a treadmill, or riding a stationary bike.
Is cycling safe during pregnancy?
It is recommended that you avoid cycling during pregnancy as this could increase the risk of a fall or injury.
What should one keep in mind about safe prenatal exercises?
- While exercising, you have to take care of the following points:
- Do not exert yourself to the point where you feel utterly exhausted.
- If you begin to feel breathless, you must slow down.
- If you did not have an exercise routine before getting pregnant, do not begin difficult exercise routines suddenly.
- Ideally, you should engage in 15-20 minutes of exercise 3 times a week. As you get used to the routine, you can increase your exercise time up to 30 minutes.
- Keep yourself well hydrated at all times.
- If you do yoga, then make sure you tell your instructor about your pregnancy so that they can help you with specific yoga poses so as to not lead to pain.
- Avoid risky sports and exercise such as gymnastics at all costs. These could lead to injury.
Also read: Recommended Exercises For A Normal Delivery