Christmas Recipe: Cookies
Every family has their own Christmas traditions. I have the sweetest memories of Christmas spent with my parents when the house use to smell heavenly with fragrance of baked goodies coming out of the kitchen. The living room use to look magical with the Christmas tree and the décor make-over that it had, courtesy my mother. The Christmas carols used to be played on a small tape recorder. My most favourite ritual was to place some Christmas cookies and a glass of milk for Santa under the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve. Today, I like to create the same magic for my son. He loves keeping Cookies for Santa too.
Here I am sharing my mother's recipe for the most colourful cookies.
Ingredients (Makes about 15 cookies)
- All purpose flour(Maida) - 2 cups
- Baking soda - 1 ¼ tsp
- Butter, room temperature -3/4 cup
- Granulated white sugar -2/3 cup
- Light brown sugar - 2/3 cup
- Egg - 1
- Egg yolk - 1
- Vanilla extract - 1 ½ tsp
- Cadbury gems – ¾ cup
This is how I did it
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees centigrade.
- In a large bowl, mix flour and baking soda together.
- Beat butter and sugar (granulated white sugar and light brown sugar) together till light and fluffy. If you are using electric mixer or a hand mixer it will take around 2-3 minutes.
- Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract to the butter sugar mixture and mix well.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter sugar mixture and beat well till the flour is incorporated in the mixture properly.
- If the batter is soft, then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or till it is firm.
- Using two spoons make small balls with the batter. One ball would be made with approximate ¼th cup of batter.
- Place the balls on a baking sheet.
- Gently flatten the balls into 2 ½ inch circles.
- Gently place and press gems on the cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 14 to 17 minutes.
- The cookies are done when they are light golden brown and set around the edges.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool a little on the baking tray for a few minutes and then keep them on the wire rack for cooling.
Tips and Tricks
- You can add chocolate chips also to these cookies to make them yummier for kids!
- A little drizzle of icing sugar mixed with water can also add to the look.
- The recipe is very basic. You can half or double the ingredients according your needs.
- My son loves to make sandwich out of these cookies putting a creamy layer of nutella between two cookies. Pure bliss for him!
- If you are using unsalted butter, use a pinch of salt with it.
- Always remember all ingredients should be at room temperature when you are baking.
Have a Magical Christmas! Try these cookies and let us know if you liked them :)